Should I make multi track for drums?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Niruvana, May 5, 2018.

1. Niruvana

Niruvana Kapellmeister

While I have been using drum vsti, I began to think "Should I still create multi track for drums? They (vsti) seems good enough with only single track as they have tons of options in there."

So, I would like to ask you guys here about this topic. The genre is rock.

3. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Only if you need to process channels with plugins outside of the drum software or, route channels in a way that the drum software does not allow.

4. pine

pine Ultrasonic

Depends.

How familiar are you with audio engineering/mixing techniques? (I feel like maybe not much otherwise you wouldn't be asking this question)

However, if you're familiar with audio engineering/mixing you should definitely use multi tracks (plugins like Superior Drummer, Addictive Drums or Kontakt have multi-output options). The advantage of doing this is having much more control over the sound of your drums. Ironically, the drawback is having 'too many options', you may end up lost or even worse, with a sound that doesn't sound coherent (gelled).

If you're not very familiar with it and you have no time to mess around with it, you're better off with a stereo output, at least for now. However, your goal should be to eventually work with multi track drums.

Or not... once you're familiar with multi track drums and you think your drums sounded better when you were using a stereo output, then that's the right path FOR YOU. Remember this: in audio, there aren't many rules that can't be broken or absolute ways of doing things. Find your own way of doing things and have fun with it!

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

It's a good habit to get into.