Should I get a set of basic speakers with a subwoofer, or a cheap pair of monitors?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Tag4rce7, Nov 21, 2015.

1. savadious

savadious Ultrasonic

Woofers!!?! We dont need no stinkin woofers !
    :guru:

No matter what brand... no matter how fancy... no matter how many beats your dre has...

your speakers CAN make crap sound like a million bux !!!!

but.. YOU DONT WANT THAT !!!!

You want to hear what the average person will hear... just a "normal" sound from your speakers....

If it sounds perfect on YOUR speakers can horrible on everyone elses speakers - you can not expect everyone to go out and buy super bass boost speakers too...

so keep it simple...

Now EVERYONE can hear what you heard in your music.....

2. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Most speakers generally roll off at around 50Hz. Bigger speakers go somewhat lower due to simple physics. You don't need lower than that, really.
    Actually, it's good practive to lowcut at around 30Hz to remove unwanted/unneeded junk and DC offset.

All monitors have woofers.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  3. mlb4sheaz

mlb4sheaz Ultrasonic

I agree that its always good to buy decent equipment but he was asking what he can get on a budget now to save him ruining his ears because he is constantly using headphones.

Either get some cheap stuff now so you don't have to use headphones and start saving for some decent stuff or get some decent stuff now on finance from a reputable company.

I would hate to have to create music through headphones all day everyday.

4. Tag4rce7

Tag4rce7 Noisemaker

Exactly! But after what you guys all said. If think I'm actually save a bit more, and buy a pair of JBL LSR305, because the seems to be flatter than the KRK's and to have a better bass response than the Yamaha's. Thanks everybody :mates:

5. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Tip - don't just read reviews and base your decision on that. Instead go to a store and listen to a few of your favorite tracks (in lossless wav/aiff) and try a bunch of monitors out. You have to listen to them IRL. Pick the pair you like the best. Heck, even if you find a pair that isn't in your price range just yet.

6. Tag4rce7

Tag4rce7 Noisemaker

Great advice! But unfortunately where I live there not really any professional audio stores. But I'm going to try to find one. Even if it's far away :)

Thanks everybody :wink:

7. mlb4sheaz

mlb4sheaz Ultrasonic

Dont overlook ADAMs either. I run ADAM A5X for dnb and i love them. they do a cheaper range also. i have not heard these but here is a link anyway and they drop to 50hz.

http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Adam-F5-Active-Studio-Monitors-Pair/N48

Also as BAXTER said, its very hard to buy based on reviews and forums advice such as here, mine included :)

if everyone liked the same stuff there would only ever be a need for one company. get something half decent and learn to mix on them. You'l learn your speakers and rooms differences when you play your music on different systems and areas anyway.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  8. clem

clem Member

Try to keep in mind the level of technology your listeners will have. Chances are they will be listening to a lossy MP3 compressed signal into cheap computer speakers, headphones or earbuds. One often has to make several mixes to cover different types of setups. Back in the 60's Brian Wilson would mix his single releases thru a 6x9" speaker sitting on the console because he knew the majority would be hearing those songs from the mono AM tuners of their cars. The album versions would be mixed in stereo and geared towards a higher end stereo system.

9. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

Tannoy 502 recommendation

Look here
    and for cheapest price here

Check also reviews on the internet. It has good reviews.

Pair cost about 280,-€. Just add 100,-€ more and you have a pair of good Monitors.

10. grdh20

grdh20 Platinum Record

For what you are doing I'd get two powered studio monitors in your price range and a decent sub woofer. Just make sure you interface can plug the sub properly. Ideally you would have a separate amp and passive speakers and a powered sub connected to that but now we are talking much larger sums of money. In any case spend a wee bit more than you cam afford.

11. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

While everyone's suggesting subs/monitors (which are paid solutions), I'm going to address the ORIGINAL headphone fatigue issue with FREE solutions.

"**But**, I'm really tired of headphones. I quickly get hear fatigue,"

"Bassy EDM (Like trap or bass house)"

1) Mix with less Bass. Your ears will thank you for it.

2) Use a HRTF VST. HRTF simulates the process of hearing speakers, and the intended effect is if you're using headphones (the primary target of HRTF VSTS on PC), to push the image from directly between your ears (ie, in your head) to outside of the head), so that they sound less fatigueing with prolonged use of headphones. Different HRTF VSTs perform differently YMMV.

Here are some free ones:

http://www.dontcrack.com/freeware/downloads.php/id/6099/software/TB-IsoneSurround/
    http://www.440audio.com/en/software/v7200-Beyerdynamic-Virtual-Studio/#win

There is Noise Makers Binauralizer on the sister site (paid), if you use that set bass to +3dB.

EDIT: Just remember when you export a mixdown to turn the HRTF off

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List