Should I Buy Omnisphere2 And Why?

Discussion in 'Software' started by superliquidsunshine, Nov 12, 2015.

?

Yes or No

1. Yes

78.0%
  2. No

22.0%
  1. Many folk say that Omnisphere2 is the greatest soft synth ever. Is it just hype and fanboys chatter or is it the real deal? Thanks for taking your time to help me sort out my decision. I will be doing much more live recording and hopefully gigging and want to keep what will hopefully be a new laptop uncluttered. I will probably supplement with one or two other choice synths and some effects.

3. Impressive

Impressive Guest

Well, It has many waveforms that sound pretty nice. Aside from that, you have granular synthesis and sampling and the ability to import your own samples. I'd say so, yes. It's only about 50GB in library size. Just as long as you're not a Kontakt library hoarder and shit, you should be cool. Also, not only is it a synth, but it's also a sampler as well. So the possibilities are rather endless. I mean, you can demo it for 4 days without activating it, so perhaps if you're still skeptical after the polls you can demo it yourself somehow. Omnisphere 2 is not that big of a CPU hog - at least on my laptop. I think Spectrasonics worked on that a lot from Omnisphere 1, which used to eat my CPU up like a monster. Many of the sounds are rather cinematic and ambient-sounding but you can use it for practically any genre. As long as your new laptop doesn't come with a microscopic 160GB hard drive, I do not think you will be cluttering it. If you do buy it, I'd say look along the lines of a 500GB Hard drive and at least 8GB of RAM for a laptop. Live gigging, Omnisphere has some tools for that as well. There's Omnisphere live mode and then you have tools like the Orb which also has its own dedicated controller app for iPad and iPhone. So in your case I'd say it's pretty much a yes. I firmly believe you won't be disappointed. :bow:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. Mr_Amine

Mr_Amine Rock Star

Listen to this demo videos of omnisphere but before you do that tell me what type of Music you want to make
    cause for me i use omnisphere for making film score and soundtrack
    i use omnisphere for pads and it has awesome Choir and now you can import your own waveform to create new sounds
    don't rush anything make sure that omnisphere will fit for your projects
    honeslty omnisphere it has everything from pads to pianos and brass and organ it has everything

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Sonar Sounds

Sonar Sounds Ultrasonic

Will/are you making enough money from it? If yes, buy it, otherwise try to brainstorm on what would be a decent alternative for you. Omnisphere it's a huge monster to tame, but if you're liking it, it's the best synth ever (both soft or hard). Personally, I find it way too dispersive and weird (in terms of synthesis) to work with.

6. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

Omnisphere is my desert island synth. You get synths, organics (and hybrids).

Theres a patch in Omnisphere (1 and 2) called Japanese Childrens Choir. Close your eyes think of what that would sound like, play the sound. Its like Spectrasonics is psychic. :woot:

I will say, omnisphere is massive, its easy to start looking for a patch and next thing you know the sun has gone down, if you're not organized or good at commitment (making choices, not marriage, thats another forum), stay away.

7. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

ALWAYS the first VST I install after a format... I love it more than my own Mother.

so, I say yes. :hillbilly:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. cookieyeah

cookieyeah Noisemaker

Omnisphere 2 is probably the best synth ever made, hardware or software. It's an all round music production monster, it cant be beaten by anything. Buy it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Impressive

Impressive Guest

Like One Reason, it's always the first thing I install after a format. The second part was a bit on the harsh side but I can sort of relate to that one as well. That's how good it is. LOL. :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

OOps.. meant Mother-in-law :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Xyenz Fyxion

Xyenz Fyxion Producer

Thanks, @superliquidsunshine. I had this same question. Thanks for responding, guys! I think I know what I'm getting for Christmas...

SOLD! You should get a commission for this comment, @One Reason! :wink:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

yes. you should buy it. and then you should send it to me. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

[​IMG]

one day....

[​IMG]

14. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

Omni is THE virtual workstation. I'm not in love with it, but i totally understand why ppl love it.
    I don't like "workstation" spirit and prefer separate Kontakt libs.
    BUT as "do almost all" in the box, it is the master.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

OMG! :rofl:

16. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Also.. check out Omnisphere Extreme videos by Bill Burgess on the sister site if you want a good, in depth look at what it's capable of.

17. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

Nope. It has some realtime dsp and oscilators on board but mostly it's sample-based rompler. if you are in the "i love frustration club" try to create simple supersaw and then compare it to other vst synth. And, obviously, i even don't want to talk about comparison with access virus.

Yes it is.

It's useless for any edm/pop type music. Just download it from sister site and analyze how often you will use it. If it becomes your go-to tool (i really don't think so) - buy it.

Too fat, dude.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  18. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Yet... can you name a better all around sound design VST?

Perhaps you should watch some Bill Burgess magic... he does things for EDM not even contemplative in any other bit of kit.

19. E.C.R

E.C.R Platinum Record

simple answer is yes......it is probably the only thing i've bought and did not feel i was robbed or did not get value....for that kind of money

20. ClaudeBalls

ClaudeBalls Producer

The investment you make in Omnisphere will pay off more than learning any other software instrument. It is virtually limitless in it's potential. The presets are all consistently of the highest level. The inspired elegance of the modulation routing and external controller mapping is incredibly powerful and better than every software instrument I have used. It is not a substitute for Kontakt, it is it's own universe and it sounds great, it is easy to find thousands of inspiring presets and it is practically inexhaustible for designing sounds. When you add Trillian to the equation it is unbeatable in comparison to any other synths or "non-realistic" sample libraries. To my ear the low end of the Ominsphere/Trillian sounds better than any other software instrument. Solid tight basses. Levels are always healthy and hot, patches sound great across the entire keyboard so they can be used in multiple ways. Often with most Kontakt libraries I find that there is a sweet spot and the rest of the keyboard sounds unusably grainy or aliasy.

If you are going to use it you are going to have to buy it. There is a time bomb in version 2 that causes the software not to store multis or recall any modified patches after a short time.

I don't think you will regret learning this instrument, along with Komplete I think it is essential for making music on a computer.

21. If I do, no problem.