Should I buy Maschine Studio when I already got a 88 MIDI Keyboard?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Lukas, Apr 7, 2017.

?

Should I get a Maschine Studio?

1. Yes

41.7%
  2. No

25.0%
  3. I love it when the river flows in the wrong direction because the air smells nice on Wednesdays.

33.3%
  1. Lukas

Lukas Newbie

Should I buy a Maschine Studio, when I already got a 88 MIDI Keyboard? I mean, I can do everything with a 88 MIDI Keyboard, so I dont need the maschine right ? Would you recommend getting the Maschine Studio, when I already got a 88 Midi keyboard? Is there an advantage for having a maschine studio over a 88 Keyboard ? What is the difference between those two?

3. tgunz020707

tgunz020707 Kapellmeister

I say yes but I guess it depends on what you're tryna accomplish.To me the pads being able to go through all samples kits vst through the maschine studio speeds things up.Some third party kontakt libraries and vst have already made nksf formats for the products.But you can also save your own this goes for fx vst samples you just scroll through on the hardware also your keyboard will work either way weither maschine is stand alone or running inside your daw.bouncing midi or audio once recorded in maschine is easy just drag and drop to your daw but again it depends on what your looking for.Theres arps and chord features inside maschine also maschine has keyboard mode for each pad turning one sound into the 16 pads then just back out to the main pads for me it's a must I use it continuously but that's my preference.

4. nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial Platinum Record

should you buy a car when you have bicycle? no you don't need to but its just faster way of working , Studio is maybe a bit overkill and you could just buy MK2 controller

5. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Do you already or ever plan to use the Maschine software? If you have no use for the software then it would just be a crazy over-priced general MIDI controller. Considering the Studio only has 16 pads, 8 rotary encoders, a bunch of buttons and a jog wheel, it's not even the most functional MIDI controller.
    If you do use the Maschine software though or at least plan to learn it and allow yourself to adapt to a different kind of workflow then there's really nothing out there like it except Ableton's Push.

Personally, I use it as, arguably, the most sick-ass drum machine which constantly outdoes itself by allowing me to lay down pretty intricate melodies and bass lines and harmonize with chords, all on the fly.
    Other times I load it in my DAW and just route a bunch of MIDI channels to and from and then use it as a dedicated send/return FX bus box.

So, to answer your question: without Maschine software - NO / with Maschine software - MOST DEFINITELY

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Agree with Pinkman. Do you use ableton? Forget a maschine and get a push2. Thats what Im saving for.

7. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Push is way more useful than Maschine if you use Ableton.

8. robbieeparker14

robbieeparker14 Producer

I got the jam and i have a 88 key board. Both useful

9. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

As a Push 2 user, if you use Live, there's nothing better than Push 2. Specifically because it doesn't force you to change your workflow in any way if you don't want to. It can access practically everything in the DAW, and yes if you really wanted to you could learn all the ins and outs to use Push the way it's marketed - to avoid ever using the mouse.

To me that's not the most efficient route. I use the mouse half the time, and then use Push for the run of the mill midi purposes but also anything else that is inconvenient or less convenient to do with a mouse. Drum sequencing, creating launching or duplicating scenes and clips, playing or sequencing melodies, loading audio effects and VST plugins, creating a new track with a particular synth on it, adjusting track and send levels, routing audio and midi (this one is a recent addition and was on my wishlist for a while. man those drop down menus suck and are way nicer to do on Push)... etc. etc. Plus it's cheaper than Maschine Studio

It's really a joy to work with

10. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

I have a Push, Maschine, and Akai Studio and looking at grabbing a Jam soon. so it depends on you needs and desired workflow.

If you run Ableton, grab a Push.
    If you need a dedicated drum controller with a huge top quality pre-made drum library to easily use, with many creative extras, grab a Maschine.
    If you want a killer sampling/chop rig with easy build your own kit abilities, grab an MPC.

If you want a total hybrid software/hardware, plug in/plug out workflow, with midi and CV control for analogue synths but still controlling every VST synth.....wait for the MPC X.

We've got great options today....... we work in great times.

11. savadious

savadious Ultrasonic

Maschine Studio is also a DAW.

If you have no other recording software then it is a no brainer.
    You will then learn to use your keyboard and do full recordings 100% inside of the Maschine software. A keyboard controller opens up a lot of creativity in the Maschine software.

HOWEVER

if you already have a go-to DAW and feel comfortable with it - then you are now introducing something new into your workflow. It is up to you to decide if that additional will help or hinder your productivity.

Personally I use Maschine Studio with an 88 key controller and must admit it is great, yet there are times when I prefer to simply load up Cubase 9 (ie. when I have a lot of vocals to work with)

Choice is yours... its a coke vs pepsi thing. There is no right or wrong in this.

12. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Maschine Studio and a Keyboard are totally different things. Maschine Studio is about workflow and Imo best unfolds its potential when using standalone.
    It has a great hybrid workflow, computer / hardware. I love to have buttons on the hardware for a lot of things.
    In the end it is a matter of preference.

13. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

@Savadios :
    Another Maschine Studio user ,,... yeah :)

14. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

An 88 key impakt and a push 2 would be my ideal setup. Ableton as my main daw, reaper when I have to record and comp.
    Now im on an axoim61, trigger finger and a mackie universal control. So I cant complain really. I can get the job done quite efficiently.