Should I be bussing to 2-buss then master?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by MrRobRancor, Jan 20, 2016.

1. MrRobRancor

MrRobRancor Ultrasonic

Hey guys, excuse me if I'm getting my terms mixed up but I'm new to this, should I bus all my tracks to a 2 buss then to the master or just buss everything to the master? what are the advantages of doing it this way as opposed to just using a master buss? thanks guys cheers

3. Ziko

Ziko Guest

Sounds like an interesting question :)

4. SyNtH.

SyNtH. Platinum Record

Well what are you using on the bus? It all depends of the context of whats used, and what you are bussing specifically.

5. coolbeanz

coolbeanz Platinum Record

sh*t, i thought that was standard operating procedure. :dunno:

truth is, u can either do it, or not; it's up to you & what works for you & your workflow. there are no rules when creating.

i run my vocal tracks (mono) into a stereo bus, and the same for instruments/instrumentals. after that, i run the beat and vocal busses to a submix bus to keep my master bus free & clear of any effects/processes. i didn't always do this, but once i figured out that it really helps...a lot...i've stuck to it in some fashion ever since.

the advantage is not having to put the same effects across multiple tracks, which would probably eat up CPU after awhile. instead, u can use one effect for many tracks sent to the bus. then that buss can be routed to another bus, and another bus, or another bus for more processes, if desired.

good luck!
    :bow:

6. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

If you need bussing things, then bus them.
    It's up to you to decide.

Using busses can have many advantages, both sound design-wise and mixing-wise.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  7. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

More busses: more flexibility: fine tuning: better sound (if you do well): better pre master: faster master

8. Nimbuss

Nimbuss Platinum Record

It would depend on what elements you have in your mix, a real world example would be:

- If you wanted to send all your drums through a compressor but keep your synths untouched
    or
    - Add some tape emulation to your synths but keep your drums clean.

Having a 'drum bus or 'synth bus' would give you the flexibility to do that.

9. stefodis

stefodis Producer

I always use a summing 2bus (or submix) before the daw "master bus", it makes it easy to insert reference tracks, routed to the daw master bus, so they are left untouched by the processing on the bus "submix".

Edit:
    For referencing, you can also use the "Magic A/B" plugin, but i kinda like the old way...