shelf eq and cut

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by funkman, Jul 5, 2024 at 10:52 AM.

1. funkman

funkman Ultrasonic

hi, im watching a groove 3 video mixing in cubase 13.
    in it the guy is eqing synth sounds
    sometimes he uses low cut sometime shelf.
    in one instance he says "im just gonna use a simple high shelf to cut out any of the low end" (studio eq)
    why not just use the low cut?
    thanks.

3. franksq98

franksq98 Member

To prevent a drastic phase rotation. Highpassing can often increase crest factor, causing you to lose more headroom than you would by cutting those low frequencies.

I also suppose you were referring to a low shelf, not a high one

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. funkman

funkman Ultrasonic

thanks for reply,i thought he should have said low shelf,but he actually said high shelf.

5. funkman

funkman Ultrasonic

so how are u meant to know whether to low cut or low shelf?

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

Maybe you can elaborate some more on the phase issue. Say you want to remove all the information below a certain frequency. 25hz, 30hz, whatever that number may be.

7. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

I want to preserve the overall character of the low end, but there's too much of it -> shelf
    I don't want to affect my low frequencies' phase -> shelf
    I don't hear anything in the low end I care about and I don't care about phase at this point -> cut

But:
    - You'd need to flip phase 10+ times before you start hearing a tonal difference.
    - It's almost impossible to predict whether a change in phase will net you a tiny bit more headroom or not on the master.

Use whatever sounds best to you during mixing. Give more thought to phase on your master, where you should consider linear phase, for reasons of predictability.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2024 at 3:32 PM
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Having not seen the video, it is difficult to say what the presenter was referring to exactly. I have witnessed many top mixers say low-pass when they meant high-pass. Often correcting themselves. Video courses can give you info that helps you improve or, lead to to more confusion.

Be careful of those saying that "this is on only way" to do something. Saturation as an example, can be used in place of EQ to tame high end or emphasize low end. Sometimes it can make it worse. All depends on what's happening in the source. This is where tools like Soothe 2 can help.

A Pulteq style may be all that is needed in some situations. Simple low/high boost while giving you cut at adjacent frequencies.

Just use your ears when trying to tame or adjust sounds to make them fit/work with other sounds in a mix.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2024 at 12:43 PM
  9. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Er, typo?

Nope, if there's a phase interference between two kicks or kick and overheads/room, you'll recognize this pretty quickly. If it's getting worse, the low end becomes less defined, if you improve the phase by adding a low cut (which is very well possible) it gets tighter, more defined and louder.
    BTW, allpass filters are very usefull for this, they alter the phase but not the gain.

Which comes with pre-ringing and is very unwanted for the lowend.

10. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Funnily, you can achieve very similar results with both, be it high or low. Shelves come with lesser phase rotation even if you pull them up or down by more than 12dB, but they still affect the phase. Normally this isn't as big a problem as it can be with lowcuts.
    Keep in mind every EQ is caused by phase rotation (for linear EQs the phase is corrected afterwards, hence their delay).

Rule of thumb, if you don't hear any degradation in the low end, a cut's ok, if you do, it's not.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2024 at 2:40 PM
  11. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Yes, sorry!

I meant for a single track.

Can you tell by looking at your EQ? Did you improve your low end or did the phase change also make your limiter's life a tiny bit harder without you knowing or even noticing?

That's why I say: '(impact caused by phase change) is almost impossible to predict, use whatever sounds best and consider FIR on the master'.

Depends on how many filter taps you have. I don't think anyone's going to notice ringing from a single 19 tap FIR on the master.

12. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Single track? Phase only matters soundwise in interaction with another phase, not on its own.

Let me guess, no one can? ;-)

Yes, like you can with an allpass filter. Why shouldn't this work with a cut?

No limiter applied when mixing.

Absolutely.

Isn't a parameter I've ever seen in an EQ. :dunno:

13. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Loop a kick, put an allpass on 250 hz, copy paste your EQ/allpass 25 times. Your kick now sounds like a rubber band.

Here's a (low cut IIR) filter from Tokyo Dawn Records (written in Reaper JSFX) that exploits this property for 'bigger / longer low end' purposes: https://vk.com/wall-216579052_253 (Tokyo Dawn Records / Labs)

(jsfx is attached at the end of the post)

Because taps are calculated behind-the-scenes, the same way you don't get to input the maximum phase shift for IIR filters in your EQ. (That'd be a very cool idea though.)