Sharing my experience learning to mix in FL Studio as a complete beginner

Discussion in 'FL Studio' started by Michaeljones, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Michaeljones

Michaeljones Noisemaker

This isn't really a mixing guide; I'm sharing the problems and solutions I encountered as a beginner trying to control the audio quality of my music. I am not a professional, I primarily make trap or hip hop beats to show friends and listen to in the car. As a hobbyist, I've only really had a half an eye on any of the technical aspects of production - 1337x KissAsian MangaStream and I thought my "layman" interpretation will be easily understood for beginners or other recreational producers.

I might be adulterating some technical terms, and I will absolutely respond to criticism or better explanations, but I hope it can still be of some use.

How Does Mixing Work?

Mixing is basically controlling the volume of all the different sounds in your song. My main use of mixing is to get greater control of what I want to be heard, and also to keep my tracks from damaging my speakers.

How do I do it?

Step 1: Give every sound its own mixer channel

First of all this allows you to adjust each sound uniquely, but I've also found that when multiple sounds play through the same channel they get fuzzy and distorted.

Step 2: Turn the master channel volume down

This next step is kind of boring so if you don't want to read it, just know your master channel has to be below 0db and you have to lower the master to keep your toolbar volume out of the red

The two volumes you should care about are the master channel at the far left of the mixer and the one in the top toolbar.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018