Shared iTunes library between Macs?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Highdom, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Highdom

Highdom Kapellmeister

Hello! I recently switched to iTunes to sort my music library and it works really better than Finder or other programs. In the settings i check "Copy media in iTunes Library", so all my mp3 files are copied in iTunes Media library.
    This is stored in my iMac SSD, but I have also a Macbook Air, and I'd like to find a way to keep update also my iTunes library in my Macbook Air. First of all I was thinking about copying the iMac iTunes Library to a usb drive and copy to my Macbook Air...

Any other system to "Autosync" the library between 2 computers? Actually they can linked via Thunderbolt or Wi-Fi...any way to use it?

3. turbo

turbo Ultrasonic

4. savadious

savadious Ultrasonic

If you have them both connected via WIFI how about the option built into iTunes ?
    https://support.apple.com/en-ph/HT201779

[​IMG]

2nd method - some 3rd party NAS devices can share your iTunes library over the internet as well. I use a SYNOLOGY device for this.

5. Highdom

Highdom Kapellmeister

Does the sharing of iTunes library's transfer also files from two devices or it is only a method to keep momentary updated the library in both 2 macs? I hope to have been clear!

6. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

It doesn't transfer any files. It just lets you share the library on local computers.
    Otherwise it would be called synchronize libraries.
    If you want to use the files, when the other Mac is turned off (e.g. off a network drive) you'll need to sync the libs.
    I did it (back when I was using itunes) simply by copying the files from my master to my slave (desktop to laptop) machine). In order to work this way, the network share must be exactly the same on both machines.

7. Highdom

Highdom Kapellmeister

But in Sierra can I keep updated a folder? I know this isn't an appropriate topic for this forum...