Share your setup

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Levitate, Jun 30, 2014.

1. RealBananas

RealBananas Kapellmeister

Who removes the dust every week from all these beautiful things? :beg:

2. droplet

droplet Rock Star

this is how I started too

3. droplet

droplet Rock Star

I have that same keyboard. It has problems with midi control info that moves the fx dials around on vsts in ableton. I have to freeze the tracks when I use it.
    do you think a pro cleaning would do the trick?

4. stephenellis2000

stephenellis2000 Member

Ha Ha it can be an issue ..but i do try keep the place neat and tidy ... the biggest problem is tripping over the cables !!...

5. tylerv

tylerv Platinum Record

hey guys! ive updated my studio a bit. i live in a residential area and was constantly dealing with car noise/kids playing and yelling, etc. when recording vocals sooo... booth1.jpg booth3.jpg booth4.jpg booth5.jpg booth7.jpg

i used 5/8 inch drywall (which sucks to work with btw) and 4 in purple board solid insulating foam in the walls plus the fact that the 2 exterior walls are double thick bc i didnt use the existing drywal for those 2 walls. i framed up the new walls to those so they are 9-10 inches thick with a shit ton of insulation. and then obviously wrapped the entire inside with 2 inch acoustic foam. for the back of the door i have 2 heavy moving blankets doubled over that acts as a curtain 4 layers thick... i close the door and hang the moving blankets over it. and then ofcourse since i did all that work for the sake of vocals, i just had to upgrade my vocal mic from an aston spirit to a Neumann TLM103 because... reasons.. the monitor hanging right outside the window was my best solution for the fact that i do all of my tracking and recording solo and obviously cant go back and forth from my desk to the booth to start and stop every take. that monitor is a mirror of my desk monitor so i just take my wireless mouse with me to the booth and i can run my daw from right in there.. clever aye?

all in all, it works better than i could have ever hoped it would. well worth the time and massive effort.

the only thing i didnt fully consider was ventilation... if im in there for any extended amount of time it gets rather toasty. right now im trying to put a positive spin on it by using it as motivation to get good takes quickly but it is definitely something i know i will eventually have to address. i would be most appreciative for feedback on how to approach that problem without defeating the purpose of building the thing to begin with (noise), if anyone has had to overcome this in there own booth.

as always thanks much for any constructive feedback and cheers!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  6. tylerv

tylerv Platinum Record

hey guys check out the first vox ive recorded in there! its a work in progress and this is just the pre chorus and chorus as it stands right now, (and far from finished) but im happy with it so far.

its original music and all writing, instrumentation, tracking, and mixing have been done my myself. feel free to leave feedback. thanks guys!

Attached Files:

7. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Wow! A huge loft studio!
    Can you share a photo, please?

8. 30F7AF38-3338-4BDB-A5B2-F320718ADB92.jpeg

• Like Like x 9
    • Love it! Love it! x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I see no mics and I don't think any preamps. Useless. :rofl:

10. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

The quality of music from the man that sits there is more consistent than most of us here.
    And that's probably more down to morales than Moog.

11. I'd hit the disagree button if you weren't the among the nicest guys on this site.

12. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Who's the guy Morales that you are talking about? Never heard of Him. Lenny's fucking aces though.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Lois I'm pretty sure Smoove is referring to my morals being of greater value than my collection of Moogs. I am Pope after all.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I hate to be a partypooper, but the job title and morals never really went hand in hand. You are the exception to the rule.

[​IMG]

Pope John XII. Engraving, ca. 10th century. The grandson of Marozia, Pope John XII created a brothel in the papal palace, and he indulged his several mistresses. He was beaten to death by the jealous husband of one of his lovers, when he walked in on the pope in bed with his wife

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Almost unbelievable.
    On a 2nd thought, truth is many times stranger than fiction...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

The lineage is long, sordid, corrupt and predictable. Lenny breaks with tradition.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Yep, fiction has to make sense, truth on the other hand....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

An unexciting truth may be eclipsed by a thrilling lie.

Aldus Huxley

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  19. I can guarantee you, as your spiritual leader and the inerrant voice of God that I follow the Commandments to the letter although I think it's a pretty shoddy list. No graven images? There's statues of God's son everywhere in cathedrals. Why isn't rape, child abuse or slavery a sin? Forgot those did he? And as for keeping Sunday holy.... I don't go to church, but then I'm an atheist.

20. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Haha, I bought a brand new Klark Teknik KA-2A for 200 bucks off a French fellow last week and it came today. My input chain is now..

Daking Mic Pre One/or Warm Audio Tonebeast TB12
    Warm Audio WA76
    KT KT-2A

I imagine swapping out the output tube, the EL-84 I believe as it seems a bit too colorful at more than about 20-25 on the makeup gain knob. Other than that and needing to recalibrate the VU when I plugged it in and fired it up to read 0dB at rest while dialed into gain reduction, it sounds very good.

[​IMG]