Share your HOSTS file here

Discussion in 'PC' started by Alpha0ne, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

same under Windows with the free Windows Firewall Control.
    You can set it up to show a popup teh same as lil'bitch etc.
    And then there is a list with all connections to configure

2. Foobar

Foobar Producer

Just a word of warning, especially for someone switching from Mac to Windows. It may look similar, but it is NOT like Little Snitch on macOS. The Windows firewall works very differently, it doesn't give the option to block a plugin process reliably and there are many possible loopholes in Windows. On Windows you should block the destination completely - which is pretty much the same as the hosts file does.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

True
    One of the holes is that a setup program can easily install a Windows firewall "allow" rule without admin context. But you can't change HOSTS without admin rights. Hence HOSTS is more secure.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Polomo

Polomo Guest

The empty list were the new entries and the second are the sorted ones.
    Since all were sorted in the new list this was empty on purpose

Changelog:
    Renamed Tabs for better understanding
    And changed order of the Tabs

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2020
  5. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

No, I saw later that there is a 2nd, better organized list. That's why I deleted the text - it was redundant.

6. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

I am wondering why are there links to regular websites in there and not specific authetication servers a plugin talks to? Because I have legit software by some of these companies in this list ike Native Instruments for example.

If I would copy all these websites in my host list none of these site would be reachable and things like native access would no longer work, right?

7. Foobar

Foobar Producer

Yes. The hosts entries will block the domains for everything and everyone on your computer. If you have macOS, use Little Snitch, it will block IPs and domains ONLY for one app/plugin and nothing else. So if you like to allow one plugin from a developer to phone home but not another plugin from the same developer, just click on "allow" for the first plugin and "block" for the other when asked. Websites will also continue to work as normal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. frenchbench

frenchbench Kapellmeister

Hey @Polomo Why did you put cloudflare in your list? A lot of other sites will break if they are blocked or Am I missing something here?

9. Polomo

Polomo Guest

I'm just the one who organizes the things I get
    In at least one list I get this was in ,I commented that as well in the document

"All Non VST-Companies and Other Stuff
    Since not all Host Files are only VST plugs and I'm not 100% about some stuff it's here"

But If you'll don't like it or think it's wrong delete it

10. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

I'm using Lil Snitch 3 on macOS already, thank you. I think I stay away from this host file editing for audio stuff.

BTW, since I don't like how Lil Snitch 4 turned out and since version 3 is not compatible with Catalina I found this free firewall which is not as appealing as Lil Snitch but it does the job. It's called Lulu: https://objective-see.com/products/lulu.html

11. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

This whole topic is a bad idea.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

interesting , thank you ! What does the feature "Lock the state of Windows Firewall" of WFC do ?

13. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Wha...?
    You're using LS3 because you don't like LS4; but LS3 not compatible with your OS, so you can't use LS3 and you use a firewall???
    I can't make any sense of that. lol.

14. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Ok, I see, missing background info. ;) So, I am using a Hackintosh with Triple Boot: Win10, High Sierra and Catalina. I am using LS3 on High Sierra which is my system I use for work. I am in a prep phase for moving over to Catalina though. But I stay on High Sierra until Apple forces me to upgrade to Catalina by releasing a new Version of Logic. And on Catalina I use Lulu instead of LS3.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

I understand now!
    Logic user for 20 years; but I never feel forced by Apple to upgrade an OS just for a new version of Logic. And let's face it, both of these things happen a lot nowadays!
    10.4.4 on Sierra.
    OT!

16. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I haven't had an opportunity to test v3, so v4 (4.0.49.0) looks fine to me yet

I believe automated software settings sync across multiple rigs could work even with any third-party softwares, or not?

I don't remember much when I was testing WFC long time ago, but NetLimiter 4 seems better to me and more reliable so far

I haven't tested "HandsOff!" yet but apparently it's fully compatible with Catalina (though it seems every update of Catalina requires HO! update too) and quite similar to LS - maybe I'll give it a try one day -IF Apple+nVidia start talking to each other again, so my hacky will be possible to upgrade from HighSierra - and post back..

:chilling:

17. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Of course. Goodsync is just what I'm familiar with :)

18. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

:unsure::like:

19. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

i had it too i think(i mean before this thread)and use it now....all work...zero problems

why ? dunno..i guess its from intructions txt from a rls but i dunno anymore
    ---
    steezo it was just a link...for me its pure gold...better then any 0815 blocker,anti malware etc...this lists dont come from www amateures

20. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I'm a bit confused. There are several companies listed which do not mess around with key'd plugins at all.