Setting up MIDI devices

Discussion in 'Live' started by SwingSwing, Aug 18, 2018.

1. SwingSwing

SwingSwing Member

Hi everyone,

I use Ableton more or less as an instrument to have musical fun with. In order to achieve that it is quite important to me to have everything available fast. So my MIDI devices should work the same way all the time. I have an Akai MPD 218 and a Novation Launch Control XL. Especially setting up the Novation with all its Faders and Knobs the right way is something I am still wondering about.

Can anyone give me some good advice on how to set those up? I know it depends on my personal workflow but can you tell me how you do it? It might be inspirational.

So far I mapped out most of the parameters of a few compressors and EQs that I keep on an unused channel so I can move them on the track where I need them. Then I can control those instances there, duplicate them and put the "original" instance with the MIDI mapping back to its original place. But this seems like such a messy solution. I am sure some of the more experienced users have far more sophisticated solutions.

Also in general: I guess you don't set up your MIDI devices everytime you control another plugin, right? But I noticed that permanently setting them up clogs up the MIDI channels...

And: What plugins are most important for your workflow to be mapped by a MIDI device?

Thanks a lot :)

3. saltwater

saltwater Guest

Hi @SwingSwing,

there are different ways to control live, i try to explain the basics to you.

if you map parameters yourself, they are static and will not change. ( you can set max and min values in the browser)

i guess there are different presets on the mpd, this way you can emulate more parameters and switch between.
    in the editor of the mpd you should be able to make your own presets.

then there are scripts which behave dynamic.

they usually have a blue hand that appears on the selected device, indicating what you control at the moment.
    and a rectangular over the clips/tracks to show what you control atm.

scripts can control anything in Ableton, generally you have 8 knobs that control the first 8 parameters, and you can move in banks of 8.
    Ableton devices have an internal fixed "best of" list for parameter banks.
    vst/au plugin controls always start from the first 8 manually selected parameters with the "configure" button.
    you do this with every plugin and after you are set, just right click on the title bar and save as default.
    this way you have to do this just one time for every plugin.

you can lock any script to a certain device if you want the controls to stay on that particular one, even if you select anything else.
    this is done by right clicking on the title bar -> lock to MPD/Launchcontrol.

manual mapped parameters will override the script for that particular knob until removed, the rest will work as usual.

both your devices scripts are included in live, you just have to select them in the Link/Midi tab.
    there are tutorials how to do this on the manufacturers site.

there is also the crucial setting for takeover/value scaling mode, important for absolute controls and how they react if you change device.
    (parameter jump handling)

there are quite a few companies that make advanced scripts,
    or you can make your own with remotify.

another thing is macros, you select a bunch of devices and group them, then you have macros you can assign across all devices,
    this way you can control even multiple parameters with different min/max values with just one knob.

you can do this with every device, even a single one.
    grouped devices can be saved as "presets/instruments" by dragging the group into your User Library on the left.