Session Backup (Auto / Cloud) ??

Discussion in 'Internet for Musician' started by olivergrey, Mar 10, 2016.

1. olivergrey

olivergrey Member

I've been looking, with some frustration, for a way to automatically sync my project and client folders to the cloud so that I can access them at any point or time, seeing as how I have a habit of forgetting my flash drive at the studio. I've seen a few options, but as of yet none of them have been able to solely sync JUST the folders I specify, as well as keep 30 day revision history. Both of these are essential in counteracting me possibly forgetting to drag and drop the session into an external drive or folder.

Yes...I could just remember to put the session on my flash drive. I have several backups at the studio, but I move pretty fast in my daily life. Forgetting a flash drive is a random occurrence, but when I do it seems to be at the times when I needed the session most.

The options I have looked at are Backblaze, Carbonite, Dropbox, Gobbler, and Splice. If anyone knows of any other solutions that offer 100gb - Unlimited storage space and customizable sync folders, please let me know!

3. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

OneDrive maybe? It integrates pretty well. Or Google drive, you can get TBs of storage.

4. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

i use dropbox, it's always been really solid. i also use Oboom and mega for backups

5. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

this should be also quite nice to share projects or cowork

6. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

syncbackpro (it's a software but it works with cloud services) is the bomb, you can backup with advanced config (and encryption) on google drive, amazon, dropbox, all the major cloud services etc without using their invasive solution to do the backup. You can choose the when the where and the how in great details for local, online or network backup.

7. 3typen

3typen Member

Why not gobbler? or splice? They Software sync all your DAW Project releated Files

"How much storage do I get with Gobbler 2.0? - During the current open beta period, all Gobbler 2.0 accounts are available free and space-unlimited. Pricing tiers for Gobbler 2.0 are TBA." - Gobbler Zendesk

"Project storage is free and unlimited, forever. Storage space is a commodity, and we do not believe in making a profit from it. So, feel free to upload all your projects!" - Splice Service

8. olivergrey

olivergrey Member

Thanks for the responses!

OneDrive and Google Drive are terribly slow when uploading projects, and so can Dropbox be at times, but it seems to outperform both of those, from a software standpoint and browser.

Gobbler and Splice look dope, but I really want something that integrates specifically to the folder in question. Yes, I can drag the session over to the gobbler or splice folder, but in the event I forget to do that, I wouldn't be able to access the backup, thus the need for custom folder selection.

@Talmi I'm gonna download that now and see what it's like, the pricing isn't bad at all

9. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Yeah you should try it, and you can find the pro version out there to try it extensively (PM me if need be) it's used a lot and ZWT takes care of it. You need the pro version for the cloud option.
    For my projects it automaticly runs when I close my daw (I've configured it this way I don't want any transfer while I do my sound, but you can tweak it any way you like) and it transfers the whole thing quickly, in seconds it's done.
    But if you upload a lot of files on google drive (the one I use) it can be slow, unless you compress the files before (which is what syncbackpro does to encrypt the file if you choose to, zip format), thant it goes incredibly fast. I uploaded my whole kontakt collection (encrypted, 150 gigs), and keep it updated as I change it, and with my first attempt it was days, undoable, but once zipped it goes really faster because it doesn't have to transfer small files which is what takes time on google drive. In a few hours it was done.
    Edit : the speed of the transfer obviously also depends of you internet connection speed...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016