Serum Preset Browser

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by Blacklight District, Feb 10, 2023.

1. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I do not use the "User" folder in the normal way.
    I do NOT put any 3rd Party presets into the 'User" folder.
    I have my own folder "- Taken" in my OWN presets library on another drive.
    I merely Symlink that folder into whatever Serum library I want.
    I rename the Symlink to "User" and so, when saving, it thinks it is saving into a folder called "user" within Serum's Library folder, but they are actually being saved to my external preset folder.
    In Serum this works perfectly! The new preset shows in my own folder "- Taken" at the top of the list.
    With u-he, the only caveat is that, for newly-saved presets, I must look in the "user" folder unless I refresh the folders within Diva, or Hive, or whatever u-he plugin i'm using, but that's also pretty easy / quick. (In u-he one can also choose o save in the current working directory, but i never liked that idea.
    Other vendors usually work in one of the two ways.

I put all the 3rd Party preset folders into the main Presets folder to avoid having to move to the 'User" folder, and have a single row to click to.
    What you see in the pic below is what shows on a single click of the Preset area.
    I have renamed the folders for all the default / Factory category-types how I like and they are in a folder of their own named "- [ Cat ]".
    ( The brackets are there just for looks - Serum considers the bracket as after any letter, for sorting purposes.)

I also liked the idea of using alphabet letters to break them up, but that is a bit annoying because you can't see any Vendor folders at the first level.
    Even though it is not a good way to organize, because it may hide some great vendors, I decided to put all those vendors with under 50 presets into a folder called "- [ Under 50 ]". At the time that worked, but as I've added more, I've needed to put more in there (to keep the list from going into 'scroll mode', and so I named it "- [ Under X ]".

I have a few other folders for personal taste & general use, as in the pic here and that has helped keep the number of folders in the main list under control.
    "- [Assholes!]" is for those who begin their names with an @ sign.
    Of course i was unable to make a folder named with an @ sign. Assholes! :rofl:
    Serum menu 2.jpg
    P.S. Some of those categories i just made as a joke.
    But, now that I have them ... I think i am gonna USE them!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  2. RobertoCavally

RobertoCavally Rock Star

Anyone knows why the arrows display as either "full" or "empty":

[​IMG]

just OCDing

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

full triangles maybe for folders with presets?

4. RobertoCavally

RobertoCavally Rock Star

Not here. :unsure: The screenshot is from @naitguy's post on previous page.

At some point I thought I knew what was going on.. but at the end it is totally random for me :dunno:

Win10, ver. 1.357

5. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

i dont use presets, cant tell.

6. Fire Face

Fire Face Noisemaker

Still can't understand how the "most used" soft synth of modern times has a preset browser like this! Like :wtf: it's 2023?! And on top of that the developers won't even bother on bringing everything in Dark Mode for Windows Users?!

Mine looks like this :mates:

Attached Files:

7. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Of course that is the the typical style for many synths' presets, but then there is the actual "browser" with columns, although compared with u-he or some others, it still sucks...
    [​IMG]

8. Fire Face

Fire Face Noisemaker

Yes I am aware of the actual browser and I use it mostly for filtering the instruments for example just 808’s or Leads and as you have already said:

It Still Sucks.

9. SholandaM

SholandaM Member

I like this browser thingy. Nice and dark, and easy on the eyes, too. I'll bet XFER Records are probably surprised and stunned by the popularity of Serum and had no idea people would be making thousands of presets for it.

I remember when it came out years ago and thought it was cool, kinda like when Sylenth1 came out. Those are the kinds of synths that, you knew off the bat, were winners.