Serum detuned half a semitone with different presets

Discussion in 'Presets, Patches' started by Ceja, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Ceja

Ceja Ultrasonic

Hi guys,

I have a strange problem with Serum, I lately encountered the problem that some presets I load in Serum are detuned around half a semitone, they are not detuned in the oscillator, there is no modulation on them, and there is also no pitchbend or something similar going on. Really strange. I happened with presets from different sample pack companies, I could`t really find a pattern there yet. Do you guys have an idea why that happens - and also how to fix this? Super difficult to use these presets this way.

It happened with some StiickzZ presets recently btw.

3. Marsupilami

Marsupilami Guest

Hi, did you check the global tuning? ->Tab "Global" -> "A=xxx"

4. Ceja

Ceja Ultrasonic

Yes the Global Tuning is set correctly to A=440, but it doesn`t play it right, if I change it to around 448 it is fine. See the screenshot below. The strangest thing is, when this problem happens the first time, and I switch to another preset that loads fine when I load it directly from a fresh Serum instance, this preset has that bug as well then and is played not in tune. I had this problem on another machine with Windows 7 too. Nobody else having this issue? Seems like a bug in Serum.

https://audiosex.pro/attachments/123-png.11184/?temp_hash=c8eb6fcf3eb3eb003d16af69623ecd68

Attached Files:

• 123.PNG
      123.PNG
      File size:
      29 KB
      Views:
  5. Marsupilami

Marsupilami Guest

Odd indeed, I did not encounter such a case and may check usual suspects
    such as unison mode (i.e. "random" instead of "linear") under global etc.
    Apart from that I`m out of ideas and would save the corrected preset as such.
    I hope some guru chimes in and have some better advice handy ...

6. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Last week I had a similar problem with Cakewalk from Bandlab,which I wanted to try.
    Cakewalk was around 1,8 semitone higher than the same vsti,same preset,same midi file in Studio One or Live.
    Because I don't know anything in Cakewalk I haven't founf any solution to that problem after 2 hours searching.
    Strange !

7. Marsupilami

Marsupilami Guest

I forgot one thing in that context:
    also check if a preset/patch loads a tune file (.tun) ....

8. segglyuk

segglyuk Kapellmeister

Hi! Could someone help me? How do I install the Serum directory already installed from drive C to another drive ..... so it works correctly?

9. Marsupilami

Marsupilami Guest

Not sure if Ceja is happy to see thread hijacked but easy-peasy to solve:
    just move content anywhere you like and Serum will ask where it is on next opening up.

10. Ceja

Ceja Ultrasonic

I would prefer to stay on-topic, but if we can help a lost sould in Serum, why not :)

About the tune file, no, none of these presets that start to change the pitch load any tune file. That is so strange.

11. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

I had something similar with DIVA, turned out to be a broken pitch bend on my master keyboard.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. Marsupilami

Marsupilami Guest

Out of curiosity I looked into some Serum presets
    and found at times exceptional programming, for example modulation of mastertune.
    So another point on the checklist could be the matrix section and investigate parameters.

It`s hard to tell universal causes, going through options several can be excluded.

A synth bug would be my last guess here,
    most likely I`d check programming, untick or zeroing settings (then save and recall).

Got to move on ... good luck and patience ...

13. JF6136

JF6136 Newbie

Hey all - brand new to Serum here but I am having the same issue. Detuned no matter what unless I change to A - 448. Any final solutions on this? Making me freaking nuts.

14. tun

tun Rock Star

perhaps you have a stuck MIDI value somewhere (physical or digital)? did you try other instruments using the same MIDI channel?
    also try removing all MIDI control from serum, so remove pitch bend as well as all modifiers etc. if that fixes it the problem is not with serum and will help find what is causing it

15. Magic Mango

Magic Mango Producer

Rather not 44.1/48 related, could it? Got no further ideas...

16. JF6136

JF6136 Newbie

I tried the 44.1/48 idea yesterday, but it didn't make any changes.
    Disabled pitch bend and still no luck. It wouldn't be hardware because all of my other VST's are working perfectly. Deleted and reinstalled, played with global tune. Nothing does it.

17. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Try installing an earlier version of Serum (diff location) to rule out Serum bug. Which is unlikely. But possible. Go thru (on OOT patches) ie Sub / OSCs / Noise et al (they all got on/off) to see if detune has been altered somehow one one or moar? Maybe they've been reset, when they need detune? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Failing that, maybe corruption in WT or smthn, scrub & reinstall?

18. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I remember several people who've had this issue. One of them tried rebooting the computer and the problem went away (reset), oddly enough.

Don't know if it could be some sort of oversampling bug. You could try to change/toggle the oversample options in the Global settings. Could be worth a shot.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  19. tun

tun Rock Star

im running out of ideas. this is a weird one.
    im not a serum user, but is there a standalone version? if so, what happens there?

20. Magic Mango

Magic Mango Producer

And maybe try different sound outputs?

21. send2nik

send2nik Newbie

Hey just had this issue, if you enable tuning lock in the global tab when you first open up Serum you can safely browse presets without worrying about which ones might be out of tune.

If you save a previously offending preset with the lock on and in tune it stays in tune.

Haven't found a way to have it locked by default.

Must be a Serum bug, tested in Ableton 10 and FL Studio 20 on Windows 10

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List