Serious latency issue with sonible smart eq

Discussion in 'Software' started by EAR TO LEARN, Apr 29, 2019.

1. EAR TO LEARN

EAR TO LEARN Producer

Guys I've been trying to render a song which kept coming out all over the place in terms of timing. I done a bit of 'reverse engineering' and have discovered that there is serious latency going on with sonible smart eq...Can anybody please help me with this, I'd be truly greatful

Also worth noting that it doesn't happen in the project itself...Only the rendered wav file...I'm also using fl studio 20 if that helps...thanks

3. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

try using a different eq.

4. EAR TO LEARN

EAR TO LEARN Producer

The answers on this site nowadays, you can smell the defeatism

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  5. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

Use low latency mode if your DAW has it, and close the GUI, that sometimes causes latency.

6. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Doesn't your DAW have latency compensation? Maybe there is a latency compensation option you have missed.

All developers state the latency of their plugins so that the DAW can compensate in order to keep everything in time/phase.

7. EAR TO LEARN

EAR TO LEARN Producer

Turns out this is the issue, thanks for your help. I've never experienced plugin delay ever except for this plugin. If you wouldn't mind explaining a bit further. I have FL studio. It has an automatic plugin delay compensation feature. Why when I play the track on the project itself it's fine, yet on render/bounce it messes up?

Capture.JPG

Apart from the 'Trim PDC silence' option I can't see anything that would help for the render. Would I have to set this manually?

8. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Almost all plugins have some sort of latency (except maybe gain plugins or phase invert plugins, etc), due to the time it takes to calculate the audio (DSP). If you record guitar or vocals in your DAW and you have a plugin like iZotope Ozone (for example) on the master insert, the delay will be horrible to sing/play along to. The more plugins you add, the more latency you will get. On the other hand, the higher sample rate you use (project setting), the shorter latency you will get.

The DAW takes all these latencies from the plugins and align them with your playhead, basically. So if you have tons of plugins, there will be a longer time from you hit spacebar (play) untilyou start hearing the sounds played back from your DAW project.

Maybe Sonible has entered an incorrect latency value for Smart EQ. Then you can do the old-school trick (that I did once or thrice back in the days) of duplicating the track and then rendering/bouncing the track (with Smart EQ) with the latency being off. Then when you have that bounced to audio (and being off in time) you drag it "back" in time/offset so that it's in phase with the original (zoom in a lot and drag/align it to the exact sample value of the original). Then you disable or mute the original.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. EAR TO LEARN

EAR TO LEARN Producer

Thank you for taking the time to help, it means alot. I'll definately out this info to good use.

10. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

You are welcome!

11. ampworks

ampworks Producer

use the live version, or Gullfos, i had the same issue with the smart eq2

12. EAR TO LEARN

EAR TO LEARN Producer

I only discovered the live version earlier today on sonibles website, will be trying it out in the future for sure. Seems like the best alternative for individual mixer inserts. Also, I heard golfoss is good for frequency masking issues in things such as group busses, for example. I haven't really seen it in action though but will look more into on youtube, a few good reviewers on there...Thanks for your input

13. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

From what you say, it seems this plugin is just resource hungry when "DAWing", but in render mode (totally different when it comes to reporting the latency) is when it doesn't inform well the DAW.