Sequoia cpu problems, searching for decent mixing/mastering DAW

Discussion in 'DAW' started by nikon, Jan 18, 2014.

1. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

Hello,

I play with Samplitude with version 9 in early days and software was really great and fast... no problems at all.

In last few days I try Sequoia 12 and I'm running some CPU problems. A very few tracks with included library samples (drums and bass sequences) and one instrument channel (included synth). I have 50-70% cpu and some distorsion in sound when synth line start...

I'm running in it on Dual CPU machine with 6gb of RAM and I set multithread option in preferences.

One strange thing, there was a setting of using a 3 CPU ?!????? I set 2, but the same thing with 1... I don't get it !

Anyone has same issues ?

As header says, "searching for decent mixing/mastering DAW", it's true... I use Live, and I love Live in creative process but I hate Live when I came to mixing stage etc... so I'm search app just for mixing / mastering process.

3. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

... I must admit, Sequoia has very fast start, wow...

4. samp

samp Member

hi nikon Please try [​IMG]

please get choose TRACK FX Monitoring i think best cpu optimize.

(default hybrid monitoring)

5. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

could be a lot of things have you changed your os? Have you modified your os themes? those are huge cpu hogs
    Cakewalk.com had a program to optimize your cpu using Sonar wich was pretty nifty, I use sequio to with no problems on win 7 64bit 12 core intel, 32 gigs ram
    raid 6 drives a must have if serious about recording, if your using windows 8 get rid of it I think it personally sucks for Daw Recording.. Dunno checl all obvious settings though
    Good Luck :wink:

6. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

Thanks, I will try.

Last night, I search magix comunity forum and found a lot of threads about the same thing, I'm not the only one ! :) In most cases there is no known resolution

7. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

also my personell opion is Samplitude has the best Core Audio Engine, meaning I get the cleaniest best sounding recordings with this Daw
    maybe has some thing to do with being a cpu hog? Dunno I think a lot to may be to do with system build pc or newer version they created

8. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

If you want to know if the problem comes from Sequoia or form any other reason, try exactly the same config on Reaper. If it still hog, check these possible factors:

- Some plugins get heavy on any DAW with any machine Examples: Uhe Diva, Image line Deckadance it gets heavy as vst on cetain daws and on other no.
    So try changing plugins or just taking one off to determine which one is the responsible.

- Check if you don't have any other heavy program running at the same time.

It would be much better if you say what computer do you have , Ram, Processor, etc.. what system win7 x64 or 32 bits, etc.. and what are these plugins that you used in this project.

9. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

ok, I set monitor to soft mode and clicks are gone... problem was in hybrid mode

ASIO driver of M-Audio card, with 512 samples, VIP is double, now works fine

10. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

One more info for you, after years with old drivers, M Audio updated their drivers for some sound cards in 2013, like the Fast Track and so on. And the result is really better. Last version is V 6.1.12 (‎May ‎21, ‎2013)
    So if you have old drivers you should update them.

11. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

512 samples? kinda high try setting to 256

12. samp

samp Member

my opinion, for best result, you must use of a machine x64 also SSDs (solid state drives ) If possible, do raid SSD Drives on samp/seq. other aspects , Reaper great cpu usage but, samp/seq is gives sound quality from other daw.

13. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

My pc is x64 and the Sequoia is 64 too... on Win7.

I always update drivers, so driver is updated...

As I said, when I change monitoring to Software mode, everything is normal, just like in Live or Studio One etc... so normal usage of CPU with some plug's...

Sam/Seq is great software with ugly skins :)

It's really intresting if you compare some DAW's... (per example, Live and Seq)

Live has some anomaly when you first start app, it takes awhile to start... from the other side, when you run Sequoia it takes 2 sec :)

VST scanner is great in both app's, there is no endless loop's etc... handling of error's is great.

14. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

256 or 512 is in my case enough ...

15. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

Samplitude or Sequoia, some says a big difference, some says not big difference (just fader etc...).

When I see on magix site top info "Depeche mode use Sequoia to record live gig's" then I decide - I must have Sequoia :) :) :) Let there be Sequoia :) If it's enough to DM, then will be enough to me too.

... you see what comercials do ! he he

16. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Do you know Birdline Platinum Skin Pack ?
    Check Audio z for more / better skins.

17. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

I'm just kidding :)

... as title says, searching DAW for mixing and mastering... with a lot of searching over the net there is a choice:

- Samplitude / Sequoia
    - Pyramix studio

so, Sequoia is more like all traditional DAW's (tracks, transport, editor, mixer thing), and because I'm in 36th and I don't like touch screen, Windows 8, etc... I choose Sequoia because I suspect that Pyramix is more complicated with lot of numbers and screens and options :)

18. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

yes I know ...

it's a big mistery, if you see Magix Music Maker (look's great at the end), why the hell they won't to create a better and clear look of top and most expensive app.

I'm not telling of colours etc... but everything is confused on screen, like bad vector graphics.

19. peghead

peghead Platinum Record

I have both Samplitude and Sequoia, both v.12.
    My PC is a dualcore 3000Hz with 6GB RAM running Win7 x64.

I don't use much in terms of VSTi but do most real instruments recordings and when I start getting over 20 tracks, each with 3 or 4 plugins, for mixing I must set the ASIO Buffer size to well over 1024. This I do in the Focusrite panel while I select "Default (ASIO) in the Sequoia panel.

The only reason to have small size ASIO buffer is to reduce latency when recording or playing live but it bears no significance to audio quality.
    Instead, the smaller the size of the ASIO buffer the more likely to have drop-outs and related issues (crackles, distortion etc).

My advice is: once you have all your tracks sorted and are ready to mix, increase the ASIO buffer to the max you can and see how that goes.
    It would also be good practice to render any MIDI instrument to WAV as soon as you're happy with it.
    I think an audio track with a few opened plugins will take much less CPU than the same track with an open VSTi.

As a foot note... before getting the Focusrite (Liquid56) I had 2 M-Audios.. the FW410 and the FW1814 and they both worked well with Sam, although the FW1814 would loose connection more often than I liked to.

20. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

thanks peghead

21. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Peghead
    Very good explanation.

What about your Focusrite (Liquid56)are you happy with it