Sequencer steps in exported MIDI does not match the steps in a DAW when imported

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Mr. X, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Kapellmeister

Example of what I did:
    1) Load up a song module in Modplug Tracker (OpenMPT) and export it as a MIDI via the menu "File > Export as MIDI".
    2) I imported this MIDI song into Ableton and the sequencer steps simply doesn't match, and it has nothing to do with BPM.

Surely there's others who tried this as well, otherwise try it yourself and you'll see what I mean.

I've been trying to figure this behaviour out for a long time and my two biggest questions are:
    1) Why does it behave like this?
    2) What do I need to do to make the exported MIDI song match the sequencer steps when imported?

3. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

same with S1, so most likely exported midi has some missing meta data. I used quantize in S1 and that locked everything into place :wink:

4. Mr. X

Mr. X Kapellmeister

Quantizing and re-arranging a whole track with all its separate channels is just way too tedious and time consuming. There must be another way. What's S1 by the way?

5. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

Check ya tracker's midi resolution it's prob 96ppqn most modern daws are 192 and higher.

If you cant change your trackers resolution then some not all daws allow (per song) to change their resolution before importing if so change to match your tracker.

Good luck :wink:

6. Mr. X

Mr. X Kapellmeister

How interesting, now this could very well be the answer I'm looking for. Never heard of Pulses Per Quarter Note before. I'll dig into the matter, thank you very much.