separate engines for early/late reflection

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by xbitz, Jan 25, 2017.

1. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

from Mixing Audio - Concept, Practices & Tools

could somebody show an example for this, which would be the best combo ?

3. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

4. covaloid

covaloid Ultrasonic

I have done some orchestral productions where I used Parallax-Audio VirtualSoundStage to position all the instruments using early reflections then I placed one reverb tail on the whole mix using Altiverb 7 and disabling the early reflections.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  5. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

@covaloid, I was testing VSS myself. Interesting plugin. I found that it killed the low end on my kick, though. Possibly from where I had it placed on the stage would be my guess As when I move it closer to the front. Any experience with this?
    Using only early reflections and using the tails from Altiverb is an interesting idea. I wonder if the reverbs/stage used need to be similar spaces.

6. covaloid

covaloid Ultrasonic

@digitaldragon you can always try pulling down the early reflection slider for the low end instruments if you are having problems with instruments like kick and bass getting thinned out or losing their transients. Did you try using the studio room also? I probably wouldn't use this program for typical pop/modern productions anyways as simple panning is often better, mostly just for orchestral music which it is better suited for.

As for that passage from the book, I have a feeling it was written back when everyone was using slow computers or dedicated dsp hardware and resources were very scarce. You almost never have to worry about running out of memory or processing power these days with modern computers though.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  7. covaloid

covaloid Ultrasonic

@digitaldragon "I wonder if the reverbs/stage used need to be similar spaces."

They give you the RT60 decay and pre-delay times for each of the spaces all you really need to do is just get somewhere in the ballpark with whatever program you use for the tail. Try to match a studio with a studio, stage with stage, hall with hall, and so forth also. They don't need to be exactly the same impulse response from the same location though.​

8. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

@covaloid, Yes, I was using the studio space. Really just experimenting to see if the depth is anymore realistic than what I'm currently doing.
    I've been using tight rooms on a send which really seemed to help "glue" things together. I had written another post about depth and dimension, and the general consensus seemed to be that this was achieved with proper eq and proper attack settings on compressors. Also early reflections were mentioned.
    Thanks for the useful information!
    I think VSS is also useful to hear how depth adjustments will affect the tone of a particular instrument, then you can just turn it off and try to eq to match and place it where you'd like.