Sennheiser HD598

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by ricefields, Oct 7, 2017.

1. ricefields

ricefields Member

I'm on a budget here, i don't want to spend more than 200 US on a headphone. i'm looking at the Sennheiser HD598 I heard good things about the soundstage and the sound.

of course I ill have to use an eq to make him more flat, do you think i can mix with this headphone?

is there any other headphone that have better or the same soundstage at this price range?

3. spyfx

spyfx Guest

i would recommend to you the Audio -Technica ATH-M40x,flattest headphone for $100 less period.And you don't have to eq them to make them flat.If you want to spend more than $200 look no further than the Focal Spirit Pro's.Hope this helps you :wink:
    (also for reference see how things sound on your regular Apple EarPods,you can imagine how many people use these everyday with their iphones and other devices.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  4. Acid

Acid Ultrasonic

I used the 598's for about a year, producing/mixing bass heavy music and had no problems with mixes translating well to studio monitors (minor tweaks needed) they are decent cans, as were the 595's. After about a year the driver capsule in the left ear started buzzing from the bass and eventually crapped out.

Rather than replacing the driver capsule I upgraded to the HD-650's and tbh they are in a different league, well worth saving the extra for, even if it takes a couple of months, had them 3 years now with zero complaints.

Would also recommend Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro or AKG K702.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

would second this suggestion.. and available from Reverb.com for around $220... you probably want crisp new ones
    but the price for used is about $100 less than this figure... if you shop around some more.. you might be able to nail your target price on some new ones as well.. Reverb's price is the cheapest I have seen..

I also own the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x which comes in at $150...
    very nice sounding cans also .. I use them frequently.. but they are like a clamp on your head..
    and tend to become noticeably uncomfortable if you wear them for much more than 30 - 40 mins... design flaw

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2017
  6. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

I cannot recommend DT 880 at all - very spiky and unnatural treble, painful to listen for more than 15 minutes.
    I tested one pair recently and one two years ago and still have the same opinion.
    And the 600Ohm Premium version I tested should have had slightly recessed trebles compared to 880 PRO.

7. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

There is only one way to pick the right headphones, and that is to try out several pairs. You wouldn't buy a $200 pair of shoes without trying them on. Same thing, except it's your ears which will suffer, instead of your feet if you get it wrong!

There is just one other thing I would add, and that is do not try out several pairs in one outing. It needs to be spread over many, otherwise your brain can very easily get confused and fooled into thinking incorrectly.

Yet another thing. People who mix seriously , always say you need a flat response pair of headphones, and whilst that is the ideal way to go, it isn't the only way. If you get a pair that you feel sound clear and crisp, that may even have some added bass, that ALSO would be OK, PROVIDING you spend a LONG time working out how much you have to make allowances for. In the same way a gun site could be off, but providing you know exactly by how much you can learn to adapt.

The reason I say this is because, a flat response pair of headphones CAN sound rotten, and you will hate them, and spend very little time using them.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  8. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

The HD 598's are quite fine, the frequencies are pictured quite balanced and I like their sound but the stereo mid is a little bit low. Not much of a problem to adjust this though. And speaking of pictures the ad makes the beige ones look a bit better than in reality, but you don't mix in front pf a mirror, do you? And just for the books the HD 598 are replaced by the HD 599 meanwhile but I can't saying anything about these.

Totally agreed! After a 2 days I sent them back.
    Don't use closed back headphones for mixing :dont:. On principle the open one are much more comfortable to wear and sound more open.

My suggestion: collect the money temporarily buy the three cans (HD 599, DT 880 Pro and AKG K702) test them and send two back :yes:
    If you're doing this give us a short feedback, please :)

9. No Avenger

what??? You own 200 pair of shoes? :rofl:
    sorry, this one was too tempting [​IMG]

10. Sylenth.Will.Fall

:lol:no! I was using the cost of the headphones as an analogy :P

11. Sylenth.Will.Fall

It might shock some of you reading this to know what headphones I use. I have a pair of Beyer Dynamic Tesla T1 Chinese Knock Offs. for the equivalent of $50

and well judge for yourself..how does this sound?

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Sounds good. :wink:
    I wonder how you would approach something like this?

13. No Avenger

ehm, yeah, I got it this way (me no knucklehead :no:)
    really? they sound for sure at least like $55 [​IMG]
    actually not my kind of music but this one makes me[​IMG], [​IMG] and [​IMG]

sorry, ricefields we left the topic [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Hmmmm. I can, but as you well know it will take a bit longer to do :P

What ya mean WE??? :lmao:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. No Avenger

guilty [​IMG]
    maybe we (I) should eff off before SAiNT kicks us (me) out [​IMG]

16. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Shhhh I'll hide you. see that corner over there? behind the light? Ok NOW it's 'we' :P

17. No Avenger

puh, that was close...[​IMG] thx [​IMG]

18. Acid

Acid Ultrasonic

Where did you get them from? would be interesting to try them.

19. Sylenth.Will.Fall

This was the site I bought them from, but it was a good few years ago and I cant remember what I did to find them. I'll carry on looking for you though. I could do with another pair myself as back up for when these go.

No good. I mean it is good, they still have them for the same price, it's just now you have to buy minimum of ten pairs.

https://www.dhgate.com/product/okcs...recinfo=8,108,1#cppd-1-5|null:108:r1733268455

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  20. Acid

Acid Ultrasonic

21. No Avenger