Sennheiser hd 280 "pro"

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Nostalgia_Rocks, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Nostalgia_Rocks

Nostalgia_Rocks Kapellmeister

my old sennheiser hd 280 'pro' (nothing pro about them) sound so harsh (ridiculously boosted and unclear mid range) compared to my shp 9500/S. the thing that strikes me is the 280 pro's have almost no bass. I felt like I needed to boost 50-60hz on all tracks i listened to. How did I handle this kind of sound for all those years lol? am i the only one who thinks they're totally inaccurate and unusable, or maybe the 280's are actually accurate and my shp's aren't (i doubt that). what about more expensive sennheiser headphones are they any better? thanks. :wink:

3. Xeraser

Xeraser Producer

HD6XXs (cheaper HD650s but still HD650s) are pretty good for the price and just about the only Sennies people should bother with unless you find HD800s (not HD800 S) at reasonable prices.

If you give me a budget and tell me what you like (closed/open backs, IEMs, etc) I could recommend quite a few headphones/IEMs

4. Nostalgia_Rocks

i'm perfectly content with my shp's and have no plans to upgrade to anything else. i also don't like the oval cans from sen. maybe 800 sounds better, although d cup man why not just use a large circular (superior) design, makes no sense to me. but anyway 800 is out of my budget even if i liked the 'd-cup' style. some people say 800 is like a magnifying glass but i've never heard them so i can't judge lol. heck, i've never even heard hd 650. but oval isn't really my thing these days.

5. softice

softice Producer

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
  6. Nostalgia_Rocks

there is one headphone i would like to try its that sony z something than supposedly goes up to 120,000hz (of course it will be technically inaudible but there's an 'aura' well then again i've never actually heard them lol). although for 4 grand or whatever it is, i don't think so. someone needs to come up with a cheap near flat neutral headphone that sounds expensive. you don't need expensive bronze metal parts etc.. it can be built with plastic, open back with 100mm drivers etc..with kick ass sound for cheap. so far no headphone company has actually tried to build such a thing, now thats crazy. $200 sounds like the perfect price for such headphones. anything more is not enjoyable to spend.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
  7. Olymoon

Olymoon MODERATOR Staff Member

If you can, try the AKG 712 Pro headphones. They give a large image and very good frequency response. They cost around 200€.