Selling my FL License/Account for Cheap

Discussion in 'Selling / Buying' started by navevan, Sep 28, 2021.

1. navevan

navevan Guest

Hey Everyone,

Like the title says, I'm looking to sell my fl account/license (signature academic bundle). I love audioz and this community has given me so much. I am selling it because I just don't use it anymore. I am too invested in Ableton now. It normally sells for $199 but I'm will to sell for super cheap since it's off the books. I know this may seem sketch, but I know that I used cracked stuff for a long time before getting an official license because it was just too expensive at the time. So hopefully I can hook one of you up and get a little something in return. I will change the account email, password, everything to whatever you want.

anyway, PM if interested. I am more than willing to talk things through if you have any concerns.

3. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

We give you Lifetime Free Updates and in return you are not allowed to sell your software or account. That is a service agreement we have stood by since 1998, and so we also expect you to honour your side of this agreement.

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • List
  4. navevan

navevan Guest

I hear that but I bought the software, it's not like i'm selling a cracked copy. Also, I feel like it's a bit unaware to act like everyone follows these agreements or ethical code on this website.

5. Polomo

Polomo Guest

I love it :suicide:
    First Post selling a DAW you canĀ“t sell
    Wrong categorie as well (https://audiosex.pro/forums/selling-buying.21/)

Worst thing if Image Line find this they will ban the account (Not the first time I read this )
    And the buyer will end with nothing
    Let me say this, even for free this would be to dangerous for me :deep_facepalm:

But hey
    maybe someone will take it and just ignore my and Lois Lane warnings

Good Luck :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2021
  6. altair033

altair033 Ultrasonic

Re-selling FL Studio is not allowed, they will ban your account for sure as they have a ban algorithm. Better keep that license for you

7. navevan

navevan Guest

Just so people know, I totally get the warnings. I appreciate them and respect you for looking out for me and the potential buyer. I will assume the risk in this sale. I will work with whoever decides to buy it to make sure everything goes smoothly. If it doesn't and the account gets banned, I'll send the money back. I want to sell it because it could be useful to someone else, but is just sitting unused on my computer. They will get a great deal on it, and if it doesn't work out, I send the money back and am left with no FL (which I wasn't using anyway so no difference to me). I also won't be using it after it's transferred to someone else so it's not like 2 people are using 1 license which already was paid for to IL.

8. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

As of my knowledge, European law says that it's not allowed to prohibit selling a license to another person, even if the developers says it so.
    Image-Line is a belgian/european company so if they ban such a resold account, they disregard that law.

You can read it here:
    https://www.computerweekly.com/news/2240214493/Second-hand-software-legal-or-illegal
    There was also a case where someone tried to sell his Autodesk AutoCAD license and in the end the court disagreed with Autodesk
    who said this sale infringed their copyrights.

• Interesting Interesting x 8
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

So hypothetically you can sell an account leak it's information and when they ban you, you can sue them? and win... big?

10. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

I just spent a very disagreeable half-hour trawling through image-line's software EULA. Apparently, nobody but image-line actually owns the software, which is precisely why (they say) you can't sell it on:

4. User rights

For as long as the User is not in breach of the EULA and in consideration of payment of the license fee, Image Line hereby grants the User, a personal, non-exclusive, non-transferable, worldwide and revocable license, being the right to use this copy of the Software (and its user manual) as a single person who uses the Software personally on one or more computers or workstations. The Software is licensed, not sold...

As @r4e notes, i don't believe this would stand-up to legal challenge. Indeed, neither do image-line themselves:

18. Severability

Part or all of any clause of the EULA that is unenforceable, invalid or illegal will be severed from this EULA and will not in any way affect the validity, legality and enforceability of the remaining provisions contained herein. Any such unenforceable, invalid or illegal provision, term or condition shall be reformed only to the extent necessary to make it enforceable, valid or legal and shall be substituted by a new provision which reflects the original purpose and comes as close as possible to the original purpose of the invalid, illegal or unenforceable provision term or condition upon which the parties can agree upon without violation of any law or statutory provision.

Any law or regulation that provides that the language of a contract shall be construed against the drafter shall not apply to this EULA.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  11. slowpoke

slowpoke Kapellmeister

Yeah, I sold my copy of FL Studio on fleabay. Week later got an email from Imageline saying they'd blocked the license. Had to refund buyer. I was going to beg FL to reinstate the license for my own use but I wouldn't use it as I found the workflow to be shit, that's why I was selling it. I hope R2R crack the shit out of them and the miserable gits go out of business.

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  12. remixHeart

remixHeart Noisemaker

Lol why?
    because you weren't able to sell something they explicitly stated that you couldn't sell?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  13. slowpoke

slowpoke Kapellmeister

Because they took my money and gave me something that wasn't really mine. It's a shit business model and they're the only ones who get away with it.

• Like Like x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  14. iw

iw Producer

You can sell it together with the email to which it is registered. :bleh::wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Yes, it is the normal practice that one does not buy a software, but acquires a right of use.
    However, it can hardly be legally okay if the manufacturer unilaterally terminates the contract due to its legally at least questionable and at least in Europe not binding conditions without giving the licensee any compensation, e.g. by refunding the purchase price.

In the end all software vendors made it possible to transfer a license after some legal action of the licensees. As @r4e said above, it was the same for Autodesk some years ago. Back then I had an intensive dispute with AD about my 3ds max license they refused to transfer.

P.S.: In my opinion, the legal dispute about this question is covered by a legal protection insurance, because it is a question of contract law. Makes it easier to handle it by licensee against big company. :yes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

I wont do it this way. :rofl:
    But ask them to transfer the license and if they won't do it go to a lawyer and let him sue them. That will most likely work at least if you live in the EU.
    The principle of freedom of contract does exist within the EU. However, this is restricted by the prohibition of so-called surprising clauses (or unusual clauses) in the terms and conditions, so that companies cannot do what they want to the detriment of customers. Even within EU it may vary but at least here in Germany it will most likely work this way.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. slowpoke

slowpoke Kapellmeister

Yeah but would you want to buy a license after the seller had to sue the company to let you have it?

18. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

I dont understand people, why they buy software they dont use or feel comfortable with in the first place?
    You can always use a demo version or warez version and when you feel comfortable with the software after a longer time of use, then i would buy it.

I havnt used my FL in a longer time ...
    But IL was always fair in anyway. Fast support, innovative and it is their right to protection their software in a good way. And is there even one company in the audio industry offering free lifetime upgrades?
    (back in the days you had to buy free lifetime upgrades for 30$, now it is total free).

So i dont understand why you are mad at IL ... It is also your duty to read the EULA, the contract you sign, when you buy the software.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  19. Polomo

Polomo Guest

Jup Melda and you can resell it (only the fee they want is a bit high 20% one the full price )
    But you CAN resell it :winker:

20. statik

statik Audiosexual

ok so let's put it this way: for a 1 time payment you are allowed to rent the software and get the renovations for free as it is their property and they pay for the renovations.

basically if you look at it that way it's logical, it may feel unfair but try to find a house that you can rent for a 1 time payment for an unlimited amount of time and with free renovations.

edit: and before anybody says apples and oranges, those are both gone after consumption and don't receive upgrades

21. navevan

navevan Guest

When did I say I was mad? As I said, I respect everyone's opinion and concern on this issue. I used the software until I found something I liked better and now it's not getting used. I plan on selling it to someone for very cheap. From IL perspective they had 1 person pay for 1 license, and after the sale, they will have 1 person using a legit license that was paid for. You can disagree with me on whether you think it's "right" or "wrong" but can you really sit there looking down from your high horse and really tell me you haven't done anything just as "wrong" or worse like pirating something? I respected IL enough to actually buy the software. With all the cracked copies floating around out there I would argue this should be the least of IL concerns, but hey...that's just me