Seeking feedback on my prospective PC build

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by ziggzagmusic, Apr 4, 2021.

Tags:
  1. ziggzagmusic

ziggzagmusic Noisemaker

Hello all!

Looking to build a PC sometime in the next 6-12 months so I am in no rush to make a purchase especially considering the price and availability of qualify graphics cards right now.

Prioritizing music first and gaming second. I’m a sample heavy producer that also uses a bit of Nexus 3 ( :bleh: ) Massive X, and Ozone 9 to name a few plugins.

Gaming wise, I am looking for something that will exceed my Xbox One X, and come relatively close to todays’ console market, but it doesn’t need to be right on par. I’m not an avid gamer but I’d like to come out of it feeling like I’ve replaced the need for my Xbox and kill some of my desire for a more current gen console.

The price I’m at is a little higher than I hoped but I’m okay with it. If anyone has suggestions on where I can get more performance for the same price, or nearly equal performance for less I am all ears.

I’ve created a build that I think suits my needs but I’d like some more experienced opinions. I’m posting this on gaming forums as well as here and some other places to kind of put together a balanced build that suits both sides of what I need.

Link:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wQpbQD

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  3. Willum

Willum Rock Star

Dont bother buying windows, just download the iso from microsoft and install the windows pro version. That way you can still use a local login.

Windows doesn't do much to complain if you dont register it, you just cant change a few things like wallpaper and some other customisations from the settings panels but theres ways around it.

I've been running 2 machines like this for a couple of years now, everything updates as normal and apart from a small reminder in the bottom right of the screen its the same as my paid for version.

4. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

- First of all try to get a 5th gen Ryzen if you're planning on going with AMD, Second Ryzen require a fast Ram, and what you're after is a low "timings" ram kit, the one you chosed is good enough i guess, but i recommand you to try to tighten the timing a little bit more if the kit in question allows it...

- 3rd while B550 is good enough, i suggest you go with a higher quality tier Motherboard more feautre better bios, and more bios updates if something is wrong...

- Lastly, if you plan on doing audio stuff, Nvidia is your enemy, it's drivers have a lot of latency problems so stay away from them and go with amd, as it gives you more option if you wanna go the hackintosh route.

a tip, try to get a cheap water cooling aio, for "lower" noises.

5. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Until maybe the next generation of CPUs & GPUs, there is no way to completely replace a current gen console. Like Apple computers & macOS, consoles are designed & highly optimized for performance.

While your build list would do okay for audio production, I would not say the same for gaming. Also. 32GB of memory with tight timings is better for audio production on Intel or AMD systems. Especially AMD.

Gaming and audio performance are processed differently. Audio requires a steady stream of data between the CPU & memory while taking in information from the data stream/PCIe lanes.

If Intel keeps their production schedule on track, Alder Lake processors should offer up some much needed improvements.
    AMD may also have a Zen 3+ processor with added improvement & features. There is also hope AMD will release the next gen of APUs to the DIY market.

Getting back on track. I will try to take time & modify your list while providing an Intel alternative over the next few days.

Happy tracking!

6. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

7. ziggzagmusic

ziggzagmusic Noisemaker

Thank you for taking the time to do this.

would you ultimately go intel or ryzen?

also, what if I were to go intel with an integrated gpu for now and buying a 3060 ti later ?

updated my link:

Intel:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ZiggZagBeats/saved/#view=HLWPFT

AMD:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ZiggZagBeats/saved/X3ZjHx

Note: Been going back and forth editing these lists, editing this post, etc. Lol. Lots of decisions.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  8. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

For me it does not matter if it is AMD or Intel. A pre-built or custom built system that performs & meets my needs at a fair price is all I look for.

The Intel build still gives you 8 cores with an up-to-date CPU that is available & reasonably priced. And as you noted, can allow for good video performance until a decently priced GPU becomes available.

The case gives you good air movement with the ability to install 5 more fans. The CPU cooler can blow air across the VRM for added cooling.

The 2.5" SSD is good as an OS boot drive. The NVMe performs at advertised rates and is rated for workstations.

The AMD build still allows you to upgrade the CPU when prices drop and, possibly get one last gen through Zen 3+ later this year.
    If the funds are available you could then build a separate system for gaming or production with either CPU. Other than dual booting with two Windows 10 installations, one being setup for gaming the other being set up for production, this is the best way to go.

btw... you want a separate boot/OS drive from your storage drive.

Hope this helps clarify.

9. ziggzagmusic

ziggzagmusic Noisemaker

It does! I’ll take all of this into consideration. My updated builds feature most if not all your recommendations.