Security alert for WD "myBook" NAS drives

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by twoheart, Jun 25, 2021.

1. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  3. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

thanks for bringing this to our attention.
    i wonder how widespread this is? or if its a storm in glass of water kinda of deal?

quesiton remain tho, is there a solution to this BS?

4. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

5. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

I think so. The WD will bring a patch for this eventually. But wiped drives will not be recovered.
    But this shows, that the policy of hard/software vendors is quite dangerous to declare their products "end of life" so early and not to deliver security updates periodically even for older gear. And frankly I use a lot of old (> 5 years) stuff.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  6. waverider

waverider Rock Star

Is there a difference between external drives and NAS drives? I don't know much about this stuff.

7. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

What is a NAS Drive? (External Hard Drive VS. NAS Explained)

8. waverider

waverider Rock Star

Thank you, what I mean is, do I have to worry about this if I have an external drive version of this, or is this specifically only for the NAS versions?

9. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Short answer: NO

Long answer: NO. The drive itself doesn't have the described problems as it has no "intelligence" by his own.
    The problem only occurs, if you are using the NAS system (a system combining more than one HDD or SSD drives to one or more logical drives for size, speed, redundancy or ease of use). These systems (basically built on top of an operating system like Linux) have got their own set of management and security options. If they are not properly administered or if security patches are not delivered/installed they can produce severe data risks. In the worst case all data may be lost.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  10. waverider

waverider Rock Star

hey man, sorry it took me so long to reply, just wanted to say thank you for the explanation.

11. loCurnus

loCurnus Ultrasonic

actually i think that was not such a "new" nfo. Since the first NAS Hour this "hack" can be happen. Also like overheating hackz, etc. i am not a friend of combining hdds/ssds to make one Drive.

Actually SCSI was in the old times an "ancient analog" version of this. Loosing 1 HDDS meant loosing most of your Data...
    Hopefully this does not happen to one of you. I learned it the hard way, i learned to backup all my Projectfiles a lot :)

WD always had problems with there BIOS on f.e. the "green Desktop Edit" ... But never mind i like Seagate more, using a lot of the Barracuda 8tb which are really unbreakable and fast. You can sort your HDDS or SSDs like the OLD Amiga 3" DiscBoxes, which every old fart knows.

Trendy is to have a good Backup for your Backup. Sorting and storing your files for fast locating is a real DIGITAL ART.... Also like orga Samplebanks, and SamplePacks etc.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List