Searching for the perfect (fake) hihat sound

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by studiodiciassette, Jan 18, 2015.

1. I got a big question for you all!
    While workin' on virtual drums (i'm on superior/evil drums now) i can take the hell out of drum piece; explosive snare, sonic-booming kick, etc...
    But there's always one piece that make me totally mad: the hihat.

I tried everything to simple eq to drumagog but the bad guy always sounds too much fakey, even when recorded via e-kit.
    I've also try a lot of humanization\quantize options but i cant make it sound good!

Do you guys have any suggestion?

Please dont tell to switch to another VTSi because i tried almost all the softwares on the market...

3. pilz971

pilz971 Kapellmeister

Sorry if I`ve misunderstood your question, but, have you considered maybe buying a "real" hi hat. I`ve often toyed with the idea, I just LOVE a sweetly swung bit of hat play.

Then there`s the recording, you could easily lose months just perfecting the art of recording, mike placement, etc.

Like I said, sorry if I got you wrong.

4. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Yeah, playing/recording a real hihat is as close as it gets playing/recording a real hihat.

5. Thanks for the reply, but for "domestic" reason i couldnt use a real hat at home.
    I use this technique while i start off my own studio and i cant afford an entire mics set eheh
    But now, due to economic issue, i usually work at my "home studio" so i can only program or rec via the e-drum

6. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    Maybe you can grab a drum library with real loops and use just the hi-hat blended with Superior drum hits. You'd get the real deal with the versatility of Superior drums.

7. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    BTW, without wanting to get you to look at other VIs, Addictive Drums and SSD4 have far more credible hats IMO than Superior.

8. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

never liked the sound of superior drummer ->>> addictive drums2. deadly kits

9. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Programmed HH technique requires meticulous sequencing when all else fails...

A few thoughts...

One way to overcome your problem (for rock/indie/acoustic etc..) is to download a sample pack that includes, for example, a single pair of sampled Hi-Hats that include ~14 velocity sets. From tight (head/shoulder of stick), all the way up to full open hihat (bead & shoulder). Each velocity ......(folder, let's call it)....... will contain multiple recordings of the same velocity, maybe 10-16 files that will sound almost exactly the same, but tiny nuances and differences of each file is what you're after here. You'll be crafting your own humanized HH "performance".

FL studio 'Layer' and other samplers allow you to select the "10-16" similar files and assign them to a key while either round-robining or randomly triggering each one.

Or, load up 5 of each articulation (velocity layer) across the piano roll and program at will.

You could also try doubling the HH part and using hard parallel compression, then mixing delicately into the original.

I bounce all tracks from Addictive/Supe Drummer to audio and maintain all pan settings to match overhead mics. When you set up your bus and send routings, applying parallel comp, eq, and a bit of sidechain comp to HH, Cym on occassion), the HH gels much better. Setting up your aux/buss etc is critical and opens up lots of options for all genres.

Use reference tracks and match your eq settings, room acoustics, etc. Everything in this business takes more work than you think almost all of the time, but pays off in the end. You've got to get in there and get your hands dirty with the mouse pointer in the roll mode.

In this demo, I programmed all of the drums by hand using supe drummer, and hated life for about 36 hours.

Sunshine Minority - Drowned Before (DEMO MIX)

10. i will try! thanks a lot guys!

11. What about the Native Instruments kits? Is someone workin' with it?

12. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

I like Superior Drummer, BFD2 & 3, and Addictive Drums 2. I might try NI hihats to see if it gives you the variance that you're looking for though. Wasn't too impressed with the NI kits standing on their own.