Searching for a program to record sounds / sample from video games, movies, the internet etc.

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by semTwo, Jan 16, 2017.

1. semTwo

semTwo Newbie

First off, i want to thank everybody for contributing to this forum and to this threat. Been reading a lot of useful posts here, but never took the time to answer questions, nor to contribute myself in any way :bash: (Well, sorry for that...I guess, i should share some knowledge).

So my question is, if anybody knows a fairly good and quick way to record audio coming from my sound card ,respectively any program giving out sound (a video game, my browser, vlc etc.)?

Thanks in advance for the answers!

Edit: found Voxengo Recorder, but it's 32-Bit :(

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  3. Wando Waiato

Wando Waiato Member

4. Cassius_

Cassius_ Newbie

If you use Mac I'd go for Soundflower, https://rogueamoeba.com/freebies/soundflower/.

Change Input device in your DAW to Soundflower (2 ch) and Output device on your Mac to Soundflower 2ch. That's it. (To instantly switch audio source on Mac just hold down down the option button on the keyboard and then click on the sound icon in the menu bar)

5. G String

G String Rock Star

Audacity.

6. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

Ye, if you are on PC, just use Steinberg Wavelab 6 by AiR.
    When recording, you can set as source your audio input or output.

7. suefreeman

suefreeman Producer

Online tool : to Convert youtube videos to mp3
    you just copy the adress and click convert ....
    http://www.flvto.biz/

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

Why installing additional programs? Any DAW can record the soundcard's output. I use Reaper for example, but I'm sure this is true for almost any DAW out there.

9. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

My download manager, jdownloader, will download just the audio and or video from yt and such if I want without having to preview it. You can just cue it all up. It will grab just the .m4a if you choose.
    I use dbpoweramp if I need to convert it to a wav. All the codecs are free on their site. I stay away from online conversion sites. They're notorious for installing adware in your browser.
    The trick to jdownloader is to turn everything off except the linkgrabber that will import the links you select and copy. And I only run the app when I need to grab something, otherwise its off.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    • List
  10. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

Maybe I'm stupid, but it is not about converting youtube videos to mp3. It's about recording the sound output of the soundcard. Do you guys read the original question or do you just answer at will? ;)

11. substorm

substorm Member

Abyssmedia i-Sound Recorder for Windows actually works pretty well and without installing any low level drivers like Virtual Audio Cable. It will record anything you hear on your computer in addition to incoming lines and microphones. You just have to select the source in the settings. I was positively surprised that it worked as advertised and wasn't just marketing BS.

• List
  12. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

JACK Audio
    ASIO Link Pro
    Banana
    These all require drivers.
    You could also connect your outputs to your inputs and record that.

If you use another driver besides ASIO like the standard DX/MME drivers you can hear and record system audio in your DAW.

13. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

@tulamide Just offereing an easier solution than watching a movie with your hand on the rec button. Like how we used to record songs off the radio, lol
    Pretty much everything is already on youtube

14. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

@subGENRE I know your intention. I use this one, for example. But you would probably agree, that your solution is not suited to record the sound output of your soundcard, which was asked for.
    Of course we could point to hundreds of applications that all deal with one aspect only, for example shadowplay for games, yt converters for videos, vlc itself for vlc, etc.
    But the all in one solution, as was asked for, is a recorder able to grab the sound output from a sound driver. A DAW does provide that, Audacity to my knowledge does provide it, but jdownloader does not.

15. covaloid

covaloid Ultrasonic

I second Virtual Audio Cable if you have no built-in routing with your sound card or audio interface.

With my current setup I have a little 4 channel Mackie mixer (that I use mostly as a headphone amp) which has the main output from my sound card (M-Audio Audiophile 192) running to the tape input on it; the monitor output on the sound card is connected to my monitors. If I ever want to record audio from my computer I just press the "tape in assign to main" button on my mixer to send the audio to the main output on the mixer which I have running back into two inputs on my sound card.

If you have a multi-channel audio interface you could probably achieve the same sort of routing through the interfaces internal mixer or manually using patch cables.