Search laptop for Traktor software

Discussion in 'DJ equipment' started by MayaMate, Jun 2, 2024.

1. MayaMate

MayaMate Ultrasonic

Hello,
    I am looking for a laptop ( only Windows ) for the DJ mixing software Traktor DJ.
    I have looked around a bit on the internet and many people write that a refurbished Lenovo Thinkpad would be good for this. Since I only have a limited budget (max 500€) I wanted to ask which Lenovo I should choose.
    Or does anyone have any other ideas in this price range?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2024
  3. s33das

s33das Newbie

get a used macbook pro from like 2015

4. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

I have to also mention getting a slightly older MacBook Pro, if only just for DJing live. I don't know which year of MBP that 500€ will get you, though. They have a high resaIe value.

5. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Be mindful, Native Instruments have recently acquired iZotope, Brainworx, and Plugin Alliance. Therefore, the suspicion is that in the near future, Traktor will finally receive a significant and long overdue update, potentially to Traktor 4, which will likely include features such as stems using the technology from iZotope's RX 11, for example. Once this happens, likelihood is that there will be more demands on the hardware spec.

I would steer away from old Macs. Having recently done some research myself, Apple are proactively ending lifecycles for Macs running Intel CPUs as well as Intel, NVidia and AMD GPUs, in an attempt to force everyone to upgrade to Apple silicon CPU and GPU-based Macs; this basically means needing to upgrade to a 2021+ Mac for any kind of certainty with regard to any longevity at all. The recent Logic Pro 11 update reinforced this with some features only available to Apple silicon users. Likelihood is that if you buy an older Mac, you will hit an OS wall and be unable to upgrade to Monterey/Ventura/Sonoma, and software will soon drop support for not only Intel-based Macs, but those older Apple OS environments too.

Therefore, buying an older Apple now would be a risk of a) it not being compatible with your software needs immediately, or b) in the next 6-12+ months, accepting you will need to upgrade again once support drops on the next Apple batch of releases in September.

If you are unable to afford an M1 or newer Mac, I would recommend going for Windows, and backward compatibility and support issues are virtually a non-issue from Windows, particularly with regard to laptops. Lenovo Thinkpads are normally business laptop with pretty good spec and efficiency, including long battery life, so I wouldn't hesitate to get one. And like anything, buy the best and highest spec you can afford as it will last you the longest. Personally, I use a Dell Latitude 7390 with an Intel Core i7 8650U quad core CPU and 16GB RAM as my DJ laptop with Rekordbox without issue, which is a business grade laptop similar to Lenovo Thinkpad.

If you look at Pioneer's recent Rekordbox 7 release as a benchmark for Mac requirements for newly released DJ software, the Mac requirements are:
    • macOS Monterey (12), Ventura (13), or Sonoma (14)
    • Apple M1 series or later CPU
    • AVX2 compatible CPU
    • 16GB+ RAM (if wanting to use Stems)
    If you buy an older Mac, and Traktor 4 gets released in the near future, it will not likely be compatible.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Melodic Reality

Melodic Reality Rock Star

Get Macbook M1 Air, new ones go in the range of 600-700 bucks on Amazon right now, you can for sure get something for even less second hand. It will be perfect thing for DJ-ing, it's ultra light, have excellent battery life, amazing performance, no fan noise or overheating, needs no tweaking to work great OTB, it will be supported for long, have one and would get it again without hesitation, it's perfect mobile laptop IMO.

7. MayaMate

MayaMate Ultrasonic

Hello
    Sorry I didn't mention this, but I only wanted a Windows laptop anyway, as I've only ever had Windows PCs and notebooks and don't support Apple's pricing policy.
    Thanks also @Bunford but I don't necessarily have to have the latest Traktor version. The 3 version is completely sufficient for me, as I don't do anything with these stems but simply mix 2 tracks together. Maybe a few effects (filter, flanger, delay etc.).
    This one looks good i think:
    https://t.ly/Hug52

8. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

This laptop is fine for the use case, and probably way overkill too. You don't need anything expensive to run DJ software, particularly if you are not wanting to use stems. As I stated, here is what I use, which is sub £300, so leaves you plenty of change: 2018 Dell Latitude 7390 13.3 inch FHD Laptop PC (Intel Quad Core i7-8650U, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD, Camera, WiFi, Thunderbolt 3) Win 10 Pro (Renewed) : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I would also recommend getting a smaller screen. Mine is 13.3" and it makes it ultra portable to take with me. However, for DJing, the main benefit is that it encourages you to just DJ without screen-watching constantly. If planning to play live at all too, a smaller screen is less of a block between you and the audience.

9. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

In my experience, in dark DJ booths or live settings, you also need a backlit keys. It's very important to me. I wasn't going to carry and plug in a Littlite, although that is probably the best solution if you don't have lit keys.

10. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

The Dell Latitude 7930 does have back lit keys.

11. MayaMate

MayaMate Ultrasonic

I use the Pioneer DDJ Ergo-K and i dont need the Keyboard from the Laptop because i do all with this Mixing Console. Its old but its really cool and its completely sufficient for me. But somehow keyboard backlighting is kind of cool :wink:

12. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

I worked in a nightclub and you need the keyboard to search for tracks. Because I wasn't playing a set list, I needed to search for my next track. You won't find that problem if you're DJing at home or with friends, though.

13. stopped

stopped Producer

it is worth the effort to transition to serato or rekordbox, traktor hasn't had a real update in a decade and is profoundly behind in important things