Seagate IronWolf Pro vs Seagate Exos X16/X18 - which is best?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Bunford, May 14, 2024.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I'm about to purchase the QNAP TR-004 and will house with 4 drives, and trying to decide on the Seagate IronWolf Pro or the Seagate Exos. I've read up a bit and seems like IronWolf Pro is theoretically better protected with RAID specific health firmware tools built in and are also quieter, with the Exos drives apparently being a little loud at times.

I can get a better price in the UK on the IronWolf Pro drives, and am contemplating probably putting in something crazy, like 4 x 18TB, as there's not much price difference really over buying something like 12TB drives. The Exos seem to be slightly more expensive per drive.

I'm basically looking at about £1k for the QNAP TR-004 and 4 x Seagate IronWolf Pro 18TB disks. I plan to set these up in RAID5, giving me a disk failure of tolerance and 54TB of storage, meaning it will last me a lifetimes, despite the ever increasing size of Kontakt and sample libraries.

I plan to use as a local DAS redundancy storage solution, willingly accepting I may have to swap in a drive every once and again if one fails, but hopefully that will only be one every few years :unsure:

3. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

equally good, just don't trust your backup to the cloud

https://cybersecuritynews.com/google-cloud-accidentally-deletes/

Google Cloud Accidentally Deletes $125 Billion Pension Fund’s Online Account

A major mistake in setup caused Google Cloud and UniSuper to delete the financial service provider’s private cloud account.

This event has caused many to worry about the security and dependability of cloud services, especially for big financial companies.

The outage started in the blue, and UniSuper’s 620,000 members had no idea what was happening with their retirement funds.

4. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

True, but this is mainly about the hard dri es For My local solution, which should hopefully be all good and the cloud will only be there as something I will hopefully never need, hence opting for the cheapest option available.