Screen Recorder

Discussion in 'Software' started by railkiller2376, Jan 1, 2022.

1. railkiller2376

railkiller2376 Ultrasonic

Hello Guys,
    can anyone recommend a free or cheap screen recorder which is also able to detect my external Focusrite soundcard? I want to record some Cubase sessions and upload them to Instagram etc.

Thanks in advance :)

P.S.I am running on Windows 10. Tried to find a solution, but there is a lot of advertisment in the programs I found.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2022
  3. clone

clone Audiosexual

most people use this: https://obsproject.com

Camtasia can be a nuisance to get working with your soundcard.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. railkiller2376

railkiller2376 Ultrasonic

thank you, will check this out!

5. Recoil

Recoil Guest

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

I'm using Screenpresso.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. PartyShit

PartyShit Producer

Yes OBS Studio for everything
    It can do 240 fps or 360 fps gamecapture if your PC can handle it and when you done recording & editing just render with "Optical Flow" setting and set 60 fps as output.

8. bigboobs

bigboobs Kapellmeister

Fun fact:
    At least AMD driver includes a usable screen recorder! Just try if you have an AMD gpu. If it's too basic, Camtasia is the weapon of choice, due to the fact that it can handle system audio and separate microphone, resulting in 2 audio streams afterwards.

However, you might consider to use WASAPI (aka Windows system audio) instead of ASIO, because ASIO can't be recorded on all devices. WASAPI might have higher latency, but you can adjust that latency later on in video editing to get it back in sync.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. odod

odod Rock Star

quicktime plus blackhole (mac osx)

10. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

OBS is the choice, just be aware of its limitations when it comes to multichannel audio interface support,
    it's a bit tricky, but better, if you manage to send your DAW (stereo) output into OBS

11. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Camtasia still has no ASiO support - this was requested like 12 years ago ...

The good thing with Camtasia is that you can easily edit the video afterwards, thats a really + for it, ASiO support is a - on the other hand, but i solved that with a recorder plugin on the master of the DAW.
    So why is this better as to record with OBS and then use camtasia with import? Well you can do certain things mouse pointer for example, since Camtasia records the mouse pointer separate.
    If you dont use ASiO Camtasia can record the audio, but then latency is up to the moon with 100+ms.
    Aligning the audio in Camtasia takes a bit the first time, but after a while it should be easy.

OBS works awsome if you want to stream directly to Youtube, Twitch or whatever as it can record ASiO audio stream directly.

voxengo has a good recorder, which you need to jbridge, Melda Prod MRecorder - thats the ones i have found.

12. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

This is a common issue for most screen recorder sw, an ASIO router is needed.
    You can make it work with Voicemeeter already mentioned above or Odeus Asio LInk Pro, more powerful (and for my experience with noticeable less latency), though it's harder to set.

I tried OBS and Camtasia, with the proper ASIO router setting are working fine, mic and ASIO mix out.