Scratchy knobs distortion effect?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by DT990PRO, Apr 9, 2024.

1. DT990PRO

DT990PRO Newbie

Some hardware I've been using sometimes distorts when turning knobs that have been over used. It can sometime sound plesant especially in the stereo field as the sound in both channels drops out unequally. I'd describe it as a lofi effect but haven't come across anything in the digital realm that emulates this behaviour does anyone have any information on this effect?

3. Zoketula

Zoketula Guest

Yes, I have information on this effect: that's dust under under the potis and sliders :D
    If you want that, you could use some plugin that emulates how a dusty vinyl record sounds (there is one, but forgot the name) or layer a sample with crackling sounds.

4. pratyahara

pratyahara Guest

This effect is created by turning a knob on a device, which is usually a gain, balance, or EQ filter knob. This implies that, along with rustling, the sound is also being amplified, reduced, or filtered (changing the frequency spectrum). Such a plugin would be very impractical.

5. Zoketula

Zoketula Guest

That plugin might not emulate anything and play samples. My juno had a history of crackling in the sliders. For the knobs, those could be pulled off or are held by a small screw and then clean it or dirty it for the crackles. :)

6. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

oxidation and old dodgy pots (with dust and coal particles in the resistance path) are not usually something desirable (you want clean/new/good quality pots). Maybe I have some shitty ones laying around that I can send to you. :rofl:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2024
  7. Will Kweks

Will Kweks Platinum Record

iZotope Vinyl is a fun plugin for crackle sounds, and I've always used Ableton's "Vinyl Distortion" built-in a lot.

Find the crackles you want and then automate to align with whatever know you want to simulate to crackle, or as an FX at suitable points.

Oh man, brings me back. I had an Roland Asshole101 that had a dodgy resonance slider that would cause these erratic jumps in rez when tweaked. As anybody who's used a Juno or a 101 knows the resonance goes absolutely apeshit when even slightly glanced at wrong.