Scarlett 2i4, 2i2... on El Capitan/Sierra problems

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by venndi, Jan 1, 2017.

1. venndi

venndi Ultrasonic

Hello!

Is here anyone who use the Scarlett 2i4 on Sierra or El Capitan?
    I have 2i4 on my hackintosh, with sierra, and I have problems with sound latency.
    For example when I make a screenshot, then this screenshot sound delay, or when I empty the trash, then again this empty trash sound is delay. But, when I play music with iTunes, or watch youtube, then I have no sound latency problem. I think the sound is in sleep mode, and when it's wake up, then not enough fast or something, and therefore is the sound latency.
    So, anyone with Sierra and 2i4 or 2i2 with the same problem? If you have no problem, please write here that I know that the problem is with hackintosh and not with the OS. On Yosemite I haven't this kind of problem.

Thanks in advance!
    Happy New Year!

3. DKB

DKB Producer

I have a Scarlett 18i20 on El capitan with a MacBook Pro , logic x and I don't have no problems myself using it . I don't know have to solve your problem but I'm just letting you know it's not the os. Have you tried looking in the audio setting in utility's folder and see if there's a problem there . also have you updated the mix control software or looked in there to see wether you have the room monitor and mix level knob set in the middle of the two instead of on mix level full , I've done that before and it caused a delay and latency issues when recording . You could also look after the set up in system preferences and raise the latency in there too.
    But then again you may need to update something on your hackintosh on the audio side . Sorry I can't be more help .

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  4. javiawake

javiawake Noisemaker

i have 2i4 on El Capitan i never had any problem.

I use Mac Tower and Logic.... with any program had problems¡¡

First day plug and play and till now.

Only problem that i saw is the volume. The volume Knob has to be on 1 o clock to have pressure in my room.

5. venndi

venndi Ultrasonic

Thanks. The sound with motherboard have no problem, just with the 2i4, something with the USB. Maybe I'll try tomorrow install the El Capitan.
    The best would be to know how it works on Sierra.

6. notrace

notrace Producer

I've run both OS's without problem with my Scarlett 2i4. I'm currently running 10.12.3 Beta and I'm still not experiencing your issues. Make sure you have the latest drivers from Focusrite! Some of the new Scarlett generation 2 drivers even work on generation 1 units.

7. DKB

DKB Producer

Hi notrace
    What driver is it that works with the Scarlett 1 I was pissed off when I bought mine a week later they released generation 2 . But it's still a solid sound card I'm using it with a octopre mk2 I've not had any issues but I'd be interested in knowing what drivers you say work with my 18i20 mk 1 .
    Thanks

8. notrace

notrace Producer

9. venndi

venndi Ultrasonic

Thanks again. I have installed the driver, but it didn't help.
    DKB: I'm sorry, but must ask you just to be sure. So, it's not a very big latency. Try making a screenshot without any sound in the background (iTunes, youtube...), and compare to when you play iTunes and then make a screenshot. By me, it's a half second latency difference. I'm very surprised if it's a problem with the hackintosh, works everything fine except this sound latency, the line out in the motherboard works fine, without latency.
    Thanks in advance.

10. venndi

venndi Ultrasonic

It seem this latency only happens with stock OS sounds, like by screenshot, empty trash...in Logic Pro X everything works fine, without any latency.
    When Logic is open, then the sound is always in "work", therefore is no latency. Funny, that in the iTunes I must play music, when I pause it, the OS audio is in sleep mode, therefore is latency by screenshot etc.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  11. G String

G String Rock Star

Different sample rates? Can you change desktop sample rate?

12. venndi

venndi Ultrasonic

No, I can't. The only sample rate change what I can make, is in the applications/utilities/MIDI setup. But it's not help. Whatever, LPX works without latency...