Scam Alert: proaudioguy | Read This Before Interacting with Sellers

Discussion in 'Selling / Buying' started by SAiNT, Sep 3, 2024.

1. Quantised Noise

Quantised Noise Producer

Given that it was deemed 'ok' for shared licenses to be sold on this site, I doubt I'd ever trust anyone selling on here, too much risk. Sorry Saint.

2. dt68

dt68 Ultrasonic

I think he "sold" you just the serials... it's not a real license because Xfer does no license transfers between accounts. See: https://xferrecords.com/forums/general/can-you-sell-or-transfer-your-serum-license . So you are NOT the owner of any Serum. He just gave you his (or stolen from someone else) serial and install files. This is not the same as owning a license. Of course it will work, until Xfer finds it. But this is not a real license: he still keeps it and you are using illegally his serial.

3. Madagasca

Madagasca Member

Same here dude. I was thinking my Serum license will stop working shortly after he was outed, but still works. Count myself lucky (for the time being) but keeping a close eye on my license as long as needed.

Edit. It was an account takeover.

4. jvwizard

jvwizard Newbie

I understand that there are bad people out there and scammers but I (maybe a little naively I admit) believe most people aren't out to scam others and am actually quite annoyed at the fear mongering - also because due to it I wasnt able to sell stuff I know would of sold if people werent afraid! Just because I dont have time to post much - I feel like people trust users with a lot of posts more.

5. piszcadz

piszcadz Noisemaker

goddammit! my arturia v 9 just started showing as a demo this weekend. guess who i bought it from on august 2nd? JAMES DORAN. i also used xoom and did a bank transfer through pockit. i paid about $110 with service fee, etc. i'm pissed off. man, people suck...

i can provide screenshots etc for whatever it helps.

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

I have to suspect you actually have this guys real info. Or at least valid cardholder info for the credit card, which was used to originally buy from Arturia. If all the information is changed on the Arturia account, the only way he would be able to get back into his account would be to contact Arturia to report his account and plugin had been stolen. He would have to verify account ownership using the same credit card that was originally used for the purchase from Arturia to get them to reset the account info. That means he still has access to the card information which was used to make the original purchase of the plugin. The information he used to create the "Pockit" account does not really matter, because your money is already gone from there. But Arturia probably gave him his plugin back, updated parts of the ownership information, and thus locked you out.

This whole thing sounds extremely low tech, and high effort; compared to some deep web criminal mastermind with 20 million infoz from some data breach.

7. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Not on this forum, but I had a Facebook Marketplace incident earlier this year that used quite sophisticated processes to be aware of.

They had created a Facebook account with the name Joseph Hanson (not to be confused with any legit person's of this name) that lived in London, UK and originally from Cardiff, UK, and had a normal profile photo, normal profile posts and photos with family and kid, career listed as electrician, hometown, family links, family members had legit looking profiles, check ins that made sense to his locality and so on.

It was to purchase a DJ controller and he wasn't local to me, so agreed on a deposit to hold and I would collect in a couple of weeks and pay the remainder. The messages were very normal and 'real' feeling. I asked for some verification videos/ID before paying the deposit via PayPal.

They sent me a video of the item working with a piece of paper with their name and date from a couple of days ago on it. They also sent a copy of a recently dated utility bill, driving license and passport photo. These all checked out with the name, address, item listed, and so on, and therefore all seemed to check out as legit.

I paid the deposit of £350 and within 12 hours they blocked me from sending messages and blocked me from finding their profile on Facebook, so clearly scammed me.

I did some digging on UK electoral register and so on to find other names listed at same address. I searched them out on Facebook and then reached out to them instead. They confirmed it was a scam and they were not the ones I had been communicating with.

It turned out the real individual had previously listed an item with the video, photos and so on, and a scammer had taken their videos and photos and then engaged as a potential buyer and asked for ID etc for verification, same as any diligent buyer would (and as a'i did with the scammer). They then said they weren't interested and that was that. However, the scammer's aim was to steal the person's identity so they could then scam people like me by appearing to have legit looking verification that would check out.

It was way more sophisticated that I came across before.

The real person's partner who I reached out to confirmed they have had a ton of people contact them to the point the real person got rid of his Facebook profile. This is understandable, but also works to the scammers advantage as they then look like the only profile with this name, details, and photos. They shared screenshots with me of other scam victims who contacted them and they included lots of sales for music tech items, but also for cycling gear. One of the screenshots was the scammer telling someone else that their PayPal had been disabled and asked for payment to be sent by bank transfer to his business partner, who had the name of Mr Benjamin Sheppard and the UK bank account 77-73-11 3455560 (in case these details help someone).

I sent all evidence to my bank and PayPal, and reported to the UK's Action Fraud and local Police. Luckily I was fully refunded the amount I got scammed, though took about 5 months in all for the bank and a PayPal to investigate.

Just raising it here for information and for others to be aware of the sophisticated practices of some scammers out there!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2024