Saying things like "I write all my songs in Minor keys...only very few major"

Discussion in 'Education' started by samsome, Jul 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samsome

samsome Guest

i am trying to understand how well these people understand the keys in general

i was listening an interview of David Guetta and he said almost all his songs are minor keys.....

but i still don't understand this too well....

do you understand how minor key songs sound and how major key songs sound?

when you hear a new song do you think oh this is minor key or major?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Yes, it's pretty simple music theory. Some songs are in minor, some are major. Some are mixolydian and some are harmonic minor.
    They have different tonic centers and different character (to musically describe and convay a mood/feeling). I'm pretty confident that "these people" know this, like I know thow this.

Just learn basic music theory and it will become much easier to understand. Look into modal scales if you want to go a little deeper.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
  4. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Songs that use the Harmonic Minor scale // www.musical-u.com/learn/the-ultimate-guide-to-minor-keys/

5. JeremyTurner

JeremyTurner Newbie

I would like to know the difference between minor and major keys. Would you mind sharing?

6. and what is the current status of your relationship with music? Do you play an instrument? Not being sarcastic, just trying to find out where to begin to answer this question.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

Go to sister site and grab a copy of Scaler.

8. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Here's a good start. Most basic.
    Play a C major chord. c, e, g. :) Happy!
    Now flatten the third, the e, a semitone down. :sad: Minor and sad!

9. JeremyTurner

JeremyTurner Newbie

I like your reply here. Thank you so much for your comments.

10. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

Honestly, I tend to avoid minors

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. demberto

demberto Rock Star

Most EDM is minor scale.
    KSHMR uses harmonic minor scale, giving it Arabic vibes.
    Minor sounds serious and nostalgic.
    Major sounds happy and childish as well at times. This is no rule, you can make major sound serious as well.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

13. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Oh yes. Have some fun to hear them swapped.
    Famous compositions with altered harmonic scale

With some training, yes.

But do you mean parallel scales? They DO have the same tonic centers, e.g. C maj and C min.

14. FrankPig

FrankPig Platinum Record

D minor...the saddest of all keys.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. cexcean

cexcean Producer

VS

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  16. lukehh

lukehh Audiosexual

Depeche Mode (when Martin Gore began to write the songs) are 90% in minor keys he once said in an interview.

17. infinatesorrow

infinatesorrow Noisemaker

ah the irony about music theory, study it until it becomes second nature - then spend the rest of your life trying to forget it. minor is sad, major is happy, or minor is dark and major is bright. the fun part because the true difference is tonality is most noticable in your resolutions - the release of tension between the two is pronounced and i was never really able to wrap my brain around resolving in major tonality
    that is until i started using the phrygian dominant because it is the 5th mode of the harmonic minor and the 7 tone companion to the kumoi japanese scale if i remember correctly, that is tonic, half, whole + half whole whole whole half whole or some such and it has a minor tonality but major resolution plus it gives you the nice minor third off a flat 9 and shazam throw in some microtonal warbling vox and youre playing middle eastern music.
    the truth of music theory is it is a myth, it should be called music description after the fact but they wanted something that rolled off the tongue a little smoother. dont let it trap you, it helps you to express yourself at first but eventually it becomes a trap that will stunt you.
    study the different modes but always remember that it exists in order to allow two musicians to have a meaningful conversation about music and to allow them to have a frame of reference when discussing what is happening or that theyd like to happen in a song, if you play it with enough conviction any note can fit with any other wrong note, only ones that make a whole lot of racket when y ou repeatedly smash them with all your might while cursing the very air we breathe at the top of your lungs, been there done that great way to alienate yourself from your friends lol
    learn the language, until it is second nature, learn the scales and practice them super uber slow but keep your stance and body movements all very consistant - once you hear metronomes chasing you through the night then throw all that out and go chromatic and start exploring music from every and any culture or time period and enjoy - just always remember music theory is a language not a rule book. Matter of fact approach it knowing that you have to strive to scribble outside those lines as much as within and you can avoid the trapped in purgatory phase of musicianship, maybe not but i stayed stuck a long time before changing the vehicle i used to express myself

oh and last benefit to knowing all that confusing crap - if you know theoretically how to play one instrument you know how to play them all so when you get stuck put your primary wife aside for a bit and find some nubile young instruments to warm your bed for a while so it gives you a broader understanding of how harmony and theory work together and you never know you might find a medium that releases your inner madman like i myself did

most of all enjoy man, play it like you mean it and if you want to make money keep it simple and stupid, however i reccomend starving and collapsing structures with it lol

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. recycle

recycle Guest

There is a guy, Oleg Berg: he is the only one that can explain what's the real difference between major vs minor

• Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. infinatesorrow

infinatesorrow Noisemaker

oh i almost forgot the most important thing......when you first start studying this stuff it tends to create a lot of confusion because its so mysterious that it works like it does. Dont let it intimidate....it works like it does because the ear is used to hearing it work that way, people will try to baffle with the overtone series and such but thats fokercarb....the microtones of eastern singing drive the western ear mad because it isn't used to hearing them so it sounds hideous at first (and years later i still have to stick with instrumentals on the asian side of the world because even as a microtonal musician the asian singing just sounds like bad touchy) but eventually there will come a time when you find yourself listening to stuff that you previously thought sucked the rotten bulls eggs because the good stuff, the really good deep music takes a bit to work itself out from ungodly racket to beautiful music
    and a better way to say it, theory is a frame of reference. tonality is just the mood, the energy that is produced. the difference when playing with a musician who knows theory and one that doesn't is fairly significant. most will prefer to play with a musician with beginners skills and knowledge of the fundamentals over wild talent that doesn't know what a c major open position chord is.

So there you have it, everything i wish someone had told me when i was still baffled by the bullshit lol. I do love theory however for it does give the worlds musicians a common frame of reference within which to compose the wonderful music that comes out these days - dont try to understand why - that will come later all you are looking to do is learn the language and conventions that will allow the pros to listen to your stuff and go damn dude i wish i could play like that (or dude how the hell are youo doing that, and why are you doing that is the most common things i hear such a joy)

20. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

No. I was talking about modal scales. As in: C major and D dorian have different tonic, but they use the same notes. Same with parallel major and minor, like C major and A minor.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  21. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Perhaps you meant the most used, along A minor, mostly because it's easier to play on white keys, try Eb min...:rofl:
    All minor scales sound the same in intervals except for pitch.

Hey! It's not fair! I was first!:rofl:
    Oleg Berg is a genius.

Ok, clear now.