Saving samples in ableton as .wav and not as an .alc that points to a .wav

Discussion in 'Live' started by milq, Jan 27, 2017.

1. milq

milq Newbie

Is it possible to drag a sample in to the browser in ableton and have it saved as a .wav and not a .alc file that points to a .wav? I would like to be able to access my sample library in other programs and have it be organized. It also seems to take a really long time for my computer to save files in the browser this way. Is there maybe a better program for chopping up and saving samples?

3. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

It's taking a while to save the .alc because it's saving a reference to the original sample as well as FX and channel settings for that clip.

Resample, record, freeze & flatten; basically render the clip as audio. You don't need to drag to the browser as Live saves a copy of every piece of audio in the Current Project folder under PLACES. You can also right-click the audio clip and 'Show in Explorer' to view these audio files. I guess you could keep this folder open and move certain files out but this seems redundant to me because when you save your project, all your audio samples are saved very neatly in categorized folders: Processed (Consolidated/Crop) and Recorded.

*If you drag audio out of Live and onto your desktop it automatically creates a new WAV file.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  4. milq

milq Newbie

Ah, perfect. Just drag them in to folders. Can't believe I didn't try that.

And it's because I'm not saving these projects. I'm just saving samples organized into folders like kick, clap, snare, hat

Thank you for the reply

5. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

the problem with that is, that the WAV isnt readable with any other plugin/app as ableton itself, so you have to save the project, because then ableton resaves everything in a readable wav file. happens when you record audio input, freeze-flatter, its shit, so i simply use alc and use the saved wav file when click on the alc symbol, now the wave file is readable, takes extra time, but i dont have to save the entire project.

not sure why abletonians have choose this way.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

That's interesting. I knew you could drag and drop from Live to the desktop and it would create a wav. I never actually tried to use that wav file in any other program.

I've always used the samples located in the Current Project folder in Places like I described above:
    upload_2017-1-27_17-31-15.png

If you use Show in Explorer you can view all project samples in Windows File Explorer and these samples work anywhere.