Sandisk 2TB SSD Question

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Vincent Price, Jun 1, 2024.

1. Hello

I am a little bit confused about my new Sandisk SSD 2TB Extreme

I bought it 'new unopened' from a private seller on eBay, now bear in mind I have done this many times before with other SSD's and never had any issues.

However, I have transferred my files over from my other SSD. Both are Sandisk and both are 2TB.

On the old Sandisk I have 910GB left, and on the new one with all the files transferred I have 1.35TB left

How does that figure?

I am so confused. I looked at the partition maps of both drives the old Sandisk is 'Master Boot Record' and the new Sandisk is 'GUID Partition Map'

I don't know if that has anything to do with why they're showing two different numbers in terms of the available storage left or if I have just unknowingly purchased a fake

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

3. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

it depends on how they calculate disk size, for one thing. some use 1024, some round off to 1000, run crystaldiskinfo and see what it says about the drives.

i really wouldn't buy "new" drives or used drives from ebay. I own and have purchased, many used hdd, its easy to tell how old they are and figure out the risk of failure,for many applications a specific brand and size of hdd is needed (think medical equipment or military gear).

ssd are much different from hdd, and host to many unique problems. New is better from trusted vendor that you can return for replacement.

SSD don't fail because of bad bearings or a flaky controller, they will die if they have too many write cycles. if you look up the drive
    the mfg will give the MTBF or mean time between failure, this is the rated life of the drive in write cycles. until the drive is in your hand
    there is no way to verify how many write cycles have already occurred on the drive in question.

https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

4. Garamondo Furbish

also you may have a "hidden" partition on the older drive, that held system drivers and recovery files. Depending on how you moved the files.
    if you imaged the drive, you have an option to copy hidden partitions, if you just used the operating system to copy all files *.*
    all you got was in the unhidden partitions. also you could have an unformatted volume on your old drive which is just dead space that hasn't been allocated to the operating system because the partition was never resized after a copy .

5. All I did was the copy and paste method

6. I have figured it out. My dumb ass, completely forgot to transfer over the Superior Drummer 3 libraries.

7. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

when formatting a disk, there's a thing called block size - it defines minimum chunk capacity that gets used,
    if you store big files, you can set bigger block size, but if you store small files, you'll waste space by allocating bigger chunks than needed

8. Londoner

Londoner Member

Might be an idea to check the usage on that Sandisk extreme if you haven't already dude with smartmontools (scroll down) https://mackeeper.com/blog/how-to-check-ssd-health-on-mac/ if you're on Mac or crystaldiskinfo if you're on Windows

People tend to flog them just before they die in my experience :/ but hopefully you're fine

9. Garamondo Furbish

do yourself a favor get macrium reflect, I think there's still a free version available for home use. learn how to image and restore drives,
    it will save you time and headaches.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree?x-ca=blog