Sand 2 released by AA

Discussion in 'Software News' started by Talmi, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Well it did come out. They just didn't say anything about it. Just updated the page sand to sand 2 but well I think it's because there is no massive change, it's mostly a core update. Not sure it should be called Sand 2...

Anyway the details are probably the sames as with Sand 1, but the name (not the screenshots) have been updated so, here it is :

ACQUA - Sand2 FAB4
    BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL €149.00 €96.85 (35%OFF)

SAND2 is a VST/AAX/AU plug-in which reproduces the sonic behavior of a series of high-end British consoles which literally dominated the music production scene from the '80s onward. It includes an equalizer, a dynamic processor, a preamp unit and a versatile routing control.

The range of iconic British mixing consoles that we have faithfully recreated in SAND2 are universally appreciated to this day, in particular for Pop and Rock productions, because of their forward, slightly 'aggressive' sound and their logical layout and general ease of use. SAND2 brings you that iconic sound and at the same time a number of handy new features like an effective Routing Control which allows you to configure the signal flow inside SAND2 in any conceivable way.

SAND2 features a combination of many devices into a single one. With a choice between 2 equalizers, 2 sets of filters, 2 compressors and 5 different preamp stages.

[​IMG]

Details
    SAND consists of 5 main components:

• EQs (A mode, B mode)
    • Filters (A mode, B mode)
    • Comps (A mode, C mode)
    • Preamps (Mix A, Mix B, Bus A, Bus B, Bus C)
    • Routing Control
    [​IMG]

About SAND FAB4
    SAND FAB4 bundle consists of 4 separate plug-ins:

• SAND CHANNEL-STRIP
    • SAND BUS4
    • SAND PRE4
    • SAND EQU4

Enhance your mixes ensuring quality, versatility and that distinctive analog sound peculiar to Acustica’s plug-ins.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  3. 6ixcore

6ixcore Producer

Hey man it's already available! It's the same but with core13 update (faster/cleaner/no echo bug..). I just tried the comp briefly and it already sounding better then previous version.

4. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Aha awesome man ! thanks for the info. :wink:

I'm gonna dl that badboy from Acquarius and give it a run !

Cheers !

5. 6ixcore

6ixcore Producer

Love it on drum bus or master channel and with this new version also loving it on snares with fast attck to give it that ssl smack!
    Man..so many great tools atm :yes:

6. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Yeah we're living blessed days for audio.
    Can't wait also to test it on the drum bus ! Can't wait to pair it with Taupe !

7. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

So I've finally spent some time playing with this and liking it but noticing the EQ doesn't really emulate the SSL 4000G much to me. It definitely colors the sound in a glossy way which was cool enough for me to add to the arsenal but was wondering if anyone was coming to the same conclusions? Thinking the Waves G might still be a top emulation for that. Not sure if @No Avenger got a chance to check it out yet?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

It's excellent. Well it was already, but now it works very well, which on some aspects - that we the "hysterical fans blinded to any problems in AA's plugs" had vastly documented and required that they fix, to make this unit an almost perfect one - well it was not the case (echo bug, auto release feature, and meter for the GR part)
    Comp indeed works better, with core 13. The auto release feature seems to finally work adequatelly. The comp seems snappier. I think the meter also is, maybe finally reliable ? No more echo bug.
    They didn't expand the unit, don't even know if they resampled it since they're not even making an announcement for this beast. At least for now. I guess they want make the buzz for El Rey last longer. It's a bit of a shame really. On the dr bus I'll use sand 2 more than El Rey...It's just magical as always with this unit, and effortless.

@KungPaoFist I don't know which eq is more faithfull. I would speculate it's AA's since well...it's a picture of the original unit, not an algo emulation, so...

But really that's not at all what's at stake here. If you enjoy the eq of the waves emulation more, go for this one without any doubt.

I use the PA one, albeit just for the summing part, I don't engage eqs or comps, in addition to Sand quite often...Cause I like it.

Anyway good one Acustica. I'll update this page when they finally make a complete descriptive of the thing on their website....

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  9. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

Definitely makes sense, although Alessandro Bossi has some snapshots that sound pretty different. I could be wrong about my thought regarding the resemblance of the emulation, wanted to throw it on the forum to see if I'm the only one. Definitely rules as an eq, and the compressors are getting use on this end as well. With the sales and discounts It was kind of a no-brainer.

I think they might be looking to upgrade the other stuff to 13 also, I might keep a previous version in addition to the 13's in case there is any difference in sampling. Did that with the El Rey to keep the pre updated version for the 4 switchable positions on the attack knob. I believe my AA nerdstyle is adequate :like:

10. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Different (hw) units ? Difference in the sampling process ? I think Boschi still does the sampling with N3 sampling process, although those libraries run on N4(which was launched after evolutions related to core 9 or 10, forgot). Don't know really, I've not tested Boschi offering, although they get praised a lot.
    And yeah at this price...The comps and pres alone (I love bus B on the d bus, just snappy), imho, are worth it.

:rofl:I've just teared a bit. I do the same. Your AA nerdstyle is not only adequate, it makes all AA nerds proud.
    Yeah they are in the process of upgrading all acquas to C13, G has indicated that a lot won't be resampled yet....Small team, yadiyada.
    Can't wait for Ultramarine and Acquamarine in Core 13 though, even if not resampled. The compression quality has been really stepped up, I want to hear how it translates in those....

11. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Too nice, thanks a lot. :bow:

Unfortunately not yet. Will take some time. Also because, once you tasted the sweetest fruits, it's hard to turn back. [​IMG]

12. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

Lol, curious to hear your thoughts. I've got a mouthful of sand, and Im liking that too though :chilling: