Samsung Tv, decent media player?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by EddieXx, Jun 12, 2021.

1. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

guys, I play a lot of music videos on my samsung tv (tizen) but the default player is pure misery.

besides how awful it looks (like windows 1.0) it doesn't have playlists, and to me most important, you can't randomise the order of the videos other than by date.

everything else seems to work around streaming from a server, but I don't need or want to have a separate machine running when I can attach my drive to the back of the tv already

the ideal would be (besides the randomise feature) to find a nice looking designed app like Netflix, Spotify etc that offered the alternative to freaking look into an attached drive!

is there really no app that offers these simple features?

3. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

Ok, after a time of research I’ve tested several solutions and concluded emby is among the most nice looking and functional, they have a premium section though and you send your information to their servers. There is a branch of it though that is getting heavy development called jellyfin , it’s completely open source and community driven. Their tizen app is being worked on so I’ll be choosing it for my system.

still I wonder why nobody has developed a similar thing just as a standalone app in the tv? Why a server when the tv already works with attached usb drives . Maybe someone who knows a bit more about these things can cast some light on why this is

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  4. noise.maker

noise.maker Producer

5. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Platinum Record

I agree that it's a pretty miserable media player in Tizen.
    For some reason that I don't resemble quite well I didn't like Emby so I uninstalled it.
    I settled on Serviio, enough for my purposes, I use its DNLA server also for Neutron Player on my phone.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. boomoperator

boomoperator Platinum Record

I have Emby (after switching from Plex, that constantly screwed up filenames). Pretty happy.
    I guess it's still a Media server, it needs a PC to run on, like Plex.
    Maybe the payed version allows to run files directly from a drive connected to a TV, to my understanding the free version doesn't.
    Further, the free version employs a nag delay of 11 secs every first time you start the player on a day, or sometimes when you didn't use Emby for a couple of hours. A bit annoying, but 120 bucks for the payed version is too..

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. AudioTee

AudioTee Kapellmeister

You can do what I and some others do; attach a PC to your TV and use whatever is available for your OS.

8. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

yeah, i noticed that annoying nag delay, what a dumb move. you dont f%ck with people choosing your free version, those people are the ones that are going to learn your software, learn to like it, and then probably upgrade. we are not going to upgrade because you annoy us you cant do that shit today when there are so many alternatives coming up.

and therefor i discovered jellyfin, and that is the one im going to use, until someone makes a similar great looking app that only runs locally on the tv.

btw, i dont think emby lets you do that even with premium, but ill check it out further.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  9. boomoperator

I'm waiting for Jellyfin myself. Development for my LG TV was at a stand still for some time, but they continued and pretty close to a release. Samsung Tizen also doesn't have a stable version, or does it? https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin-tizen

10. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

oh, LG, i dont know what os they use but yes, the Tizen app is in development and seems like close to a release from what ive read. today there is not a packaged version, you have to compile it yourself, im going to do that one of these days to see how far its come.

11. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

one question,
    do you happen to know if it’s the server computer that does the processing of the video?

or does it only send the data to the tv and the TVs cpu does the video processing? I’m not really sure how it works

12. boomoperator

Good question. I think a PC/Mac (or NAS, or Firestick) does the processing, TV is only used as a screen.
    Free version uses software based FFMPEG transcoding (when needed), Payed Emby Premiere can utilise hardware GPU transcoding.