Samsung 970 Evo Plus - Worth it?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Ozuna baby, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Ozuna baby

Ozuna baby Ultrasonic

They do, but if you add shipment costs then it's already more expensive then the Samsung one. Plus I'm not too eager on buying from abroad because there can easily be higher fees at the border etc (+25%), and if there's any problem with the item then it's a mess to send it back, even more so now during this pandemic.
    I would have a question about this: doesn't windows using hyper-v to protect users hardware from possible malware using kernel mode drivers technically mean that we're all running a "VM"?

2. Benno de Bruin

Benno de Bruin Kapellmeister

it's relatively expensive, can get superhot and then throttles.

3. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Errr nope ? Here is the technical explanation:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/kernel/types-of-windows-drivers
    What could be viable though, is that all peeps who run Win10 may think so but they are not admins, technically only MS gets really elevated rights on their OS hehehe.
    Cheers

4. Ozuna baby

Ozuna baby Ultrasonic

Thanks for the explaining and for the link.
    Might be a bit OT, but I don't understand why is Windows 10 always using hyper-v on my system then.
    I was trying to run a VM and it gave me lots of problems after starting it, and in VM debug it showed "Attempting fall back to NEM: AMD-V is not available" (NEM aka Hyper-V). I went to check in windows features and hyper-v is not enabled, at which point i gave up :D

5. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

You have a Windows service that runs in the background which depends on Hyper-V. Without getting in details you might wanna read this:
    https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=99390

6. Ozuna baby

Ozuna baby Ultrasonic

Thanks a lot, I'll try that! :thanks:
    Hopefully sooner or later Microsoft will fix Hyper-V to let it coexist with other virtualization technologies..