Samson Resolv SE 8 - need help setting them up

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Backtired, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

again
    don t take a phrase to quote it out of its contest

I wasn t talking about his set up

read me, before writing about me

I hope it s clear now... but have you read back? we can t go on like this..,
    I offer you an icecream to change topic ok?
    not to provocate but to ... u know... you think that way, I think it my way
    we re good... people will choose or they will look for the thing online
    all ok

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  2. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

Guys thanks for all the answers.
    The guy said he did what he could and he repaired them. Now, other than the normal hiss (you can hear it only with the ear close to the speaker), one speaker has a quiet hum. If there's silence in the room I can hear it, it's not loud, it's just annoying, but I can live with it for now. This new hum, I thought it was something to do with the ground, as someone else said, but it wasn't. I tried it on another electrical outlet and I tried switching things around: the problem seems to be coming from the inside of the speaker. As I said it's not a big deal, and it will probably fix itself with a good card/interface and better cables.

To the guy asking me how I linked the speakers: ^^ I didn't mean that way, I meant "when I plug the audio cables in both the speakers". I'm not doing what you described, don't worry, I'm doing it the right way (I hope... lol, for now nothing exploded).

BTW I'm really scared of electric stuff and similar, so I won't touch anything else for now. They work, they're cool, they sound very good actually (I can't believe they will sound better with upgrades...), only last mystery left to solve: the hum (it's probably the 60 Hz hum but if it's that, then it's the ground, but I've already checked that... whatever).

Thanks everybody. Adam don't worry, I won't update this topic anymore. If I will, it'll be to show my new audio interface :lol: :lol:

love you all ~peace

3. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. To fix that you could check the connection to the speaker that gives you the hum. RCA (cinch) cable has 2 connections - one for ground, one for signal. You need to connect ground of your PC with ground of the speaker, otherwise it won't "cancel out" 60 Hz hum of power supplies and stuff. Are you sure the cable is in good condition? Wouldn't hurt to try a multimeter, set it to continuity test and just check to be sure.

4. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

@Backtired i recently had more or less the same issue with my speakers with noize/hum coming out of only 1 of them.
    on the monitor that gave me trouble i switched the powersocket to a diffferent one. The interference was gone and more noize:like:

5. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Also, this unbalanced connection could be picking up the hum from your PC or monitor, or just about any other electrical appliance. When you connect them with a balanced XLR or TRS cable there will be much less chance of electrical interference, if the XLR cable is of good quality/shielded properly.

I'm glad they work [almost] normally, and you figured out how to connect them properly Backtired! :wink: Cheers!

p.s. don't forget the lava lamps! They are very important for better sound! :hahaha: Happy music making! :headbang:

6. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

Guess you guys totally earnt your price!
    A picture of the greatest studio ever seen by humankind!
    (Thanks everybody honestly :bleh:)

[​IMG]

7. Lava lamps, I see no lava lamps. You think that you can call this a studio without having lava lamps? Noob!!! @SineWave what are we gonna do with this kid, he just never listens!

8. jaymo99

jaymo99 Platinum Record

heres a really great video on calibrating your monitors for the room your in

9. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Are there any great videos on calibrating your lava lamps for your studio?

10. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

I swear I had a broken lava lamp somewhere in the house :bleh:
    Thanks for the video, checking it right now

11. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

This morning I finally did some tests.

I ran some sine waves in the low spectrum and damn there are some serious dips and boosts. I don't remember the exact notes or frequencies but the major problems are around 70 - 140 Hz I'd say
    I'm going to show you a picture of how big and unconsistent this place is (and how empty ATM). As you can see it's not a square room and it's not even small (which are the common problems for big basses or holes it seems).

I made sure that the distances were not multiples or stuff like that:
    - monitors are not in the middle of the room by height (they're slightly below);
    - distances from back wall and left/right walls are different (and these distances are also different from the monitor to the ceiling)

So what I did wrong? I read a lot but it's all generic and nothing really interesting.
    Guess I need to redo the measurements? Or place the desk in another position?

Monitors are front ported btw (Resolv SE8 from Samson) and other than this little problem they work wonderfully (oh and there's a problem with a small noise made by only one speaker but it's ok I can live with that, got worse issues now lol)

PS: The placement of monitors in picture is different now, was doing various tests

[​IMG]

12. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

Am I right if I assume this is the problem?
    http://arqen.com/acoustics-101/speaker-placement-boundary-interference/
    Gonna test tomorrow. Probably going to move thrm further from the wall.

Ps thanks for changing title, was't sure if I had to open another thread

EDIT Great. Even the floor/ceiling can be the problem it seems..

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016