Samson Resolv SE 8 - need help setting them up

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Backtired, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

sorry for the thread starter, my apologies

2. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

I'm honestly not believing my sound quality will go up so much I'll notice an improvement, but maybe I'm wrong. I thought these audio interfaces were more needed for guys who made recording and had more gear.
    For headphones I have Status CB-1, but let's not discuss that as the angry guy above me ( :bleh: ) said it right: this thread is for setting monitors up.
    Oh and about the monitors, I heard that 2.2 meters is a good distance to place them from the back wall, is this correct? I read this from 4-5 different sources (2-2.2 meters usually); since I have space, I might give it a try
    @Adamdog: it's ok lol, I'm getting lots of info, and it's nice to see that there's some argument going on, the more I learn the better
    EDIT 2: Adam, this impedence problem is relative ONLY to headphones as you said in your first post?

3. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

and I d like to see you, if you re sure about a statement and a complete unknown comes to tell you b.....t and then leaves a wrong hint

this as any thread is to give correct infos

4. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

I was seeing red, still, I've spoken as a lawyer
    no vulgair language
    if that s somebody's habit, he s free to do it at home, in front of his sons

not in an international audio forum

AMEN

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  5. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

ok I ll write to you in private about impedance if you like the idea
    at the moment, I don t feel like giving further infos here sorry

these guys with the esiaest, less problematic solutions: "no prob, no risks, why care"
    really... cant tell ya

bravi, bravi, great, applauses!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  6. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Yes. Basically don't put them right upon the wall. That's why you put acoustic panels behind your speakers - because the tighter your speakers are to the wall, the more crazy bass buildup and waves bouncing around you get there (remember a lot of the sound of your speakers is what comes from the back and bounces back to you). Just like when recording guitar amps - back it off from the wall as much as possible, ideally you want a nice big control room and be about 1/4 the length of your room (ideal center causes even more problems). Also, make sure your speakers are firing sound in the longest way possible - so the first reflection when it hits the walls is when the wave is already decaying

And the twitters should be at ear level, with speakers forming a triangle 60 degrees, but that's the obvious part.

[​IMG]
    If possible, try decoupling the speakers from the table - ideally use monitor stands with spikes, a quick and dirty solution is to put a couple of heavy books under your speaker, maybe with some foam or cloth on top.

[​IMG]

A nice all around guide can be found here

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

Wow this is great, I have stands AND I have a huge room with a lot of space (and it's not the usual boring cubic room).
    I will send pictures in the next weeks, when I will (with some magics!) buy monitors and move everything in the new place

Thanks everybody, literally every single post helped in a way or another :wink:

8. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

You shouldn't need to be 2.2 metres away from the wall; 60 cm should be fine, as the SE's are front ported. Would be different if you had RXA' s, as they are rear ported.

9. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Oh yes, didn't look up the speakers. Still, a decent distance is just way more comfortable to work in, really.

10. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

Hey guys
    (Im writing this from my cheap phone so excuse dumb mistakes)
    So I got these huge ass speakers, Samson Resolv Se 8.
    So after changing the fuse two times (one of the speakers had wrong voltage settings wtf) it seemed all fine. Then I tried them both and damn there's a huge problem.
    So the problem is that when I link them together, the "broken speaker" (which I changed the fuse and brought to a technician) doesnt even work. The woofer sucks itself in and I was actually a bit scared. Huge noise/hum (no hiss, this is LOUD AND F. SCARY). Since I would avoid being fried to these things I'll bring BOTH back to the guy. Im pretty sure that bastard changed something inside, but Im not sure, I want to believe he was in good faith - for now.
    Anyway what could the cause be? Ever heard of such problem? Already tried different cables, power cables, strips, etc.

PS oh my damn it took me 20 minutes to write this ...

11. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

The problem appears only when I hook up the broken speaker to the other one

12. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Huge hum sounds like ground loop to me, possibly a short somewhere or ground isn't connected in the cable between speakers

13. almightyshux

almightyshux Ultrasonic

IMPROVED!

triangle-1.png
    ..................................................................I like mine a little above my head

67.5" may seem a lot. anything less and you lose the full stereo potential, anything more and the center image collapses.
    Prepare to hear stereo like it's a new dimension!

if space permits, 2ft from front and sidewalls.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  14. almightyshux

almightyshux Ultrasonic

15. almightyshux

almightyshux Ultrasonic

bad advice. no offense.

what good is a good interface if it's being played through budget speakers? line out of a computer will still sound amazing through half decent monitors, fact.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

No, you're right. Actually I wanted to edit the post as I didn't noticed the RCA input on the monitors. Mine (KH120) are having just the XLR and I wrongly assumed (again...) that all the monitors are like that.

17. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Maaaan, it's not like he's going to use this setup to produce Michael Jackson, David Bowie, or Prince. Definitely, because these guys are dead. :mad:

Impedance is really not an issue at all here. He's going to use it to doodle around with some loops and sounds, and he's going to buy a proper audio interface in due time anyway. Nothing is going to blow up, and he's got other more important issues to worry about now. :winker:

@Backtired You are really going to appreciate having the physical volume knob! :wink: And the sound might be a lot better than you think. XLR connection alone will get rid of any hum and noise your standard line cable can pick up. :wink: I'd plan on buying that audio interface ASAP. :headbang:

edit: @Backtired What do you mean by saying you LINK THE SPEAKERS TOGETHER? :wow: You don't link anything together in this case. You plug in the little stereo jack in your PC line output [green] and you plug each cinch, L and R, separately into each speaker. There is no linking between speakers and they both have separate amplifiers, inputs and volume controls.

Only the standard Y9.99 PC speakers have to be linked together and they have one amp and vol control... :facepalm:

18. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

don t take a phrase only
    read it all, my observations
    anyway...

19. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

wrong infos, just to be clear

not about his set up, but impedance principles
    it s not only about some cable and a laptop
    mic to preamp, keys to mixer, mixer to speakers etc etc
    ignoring this is the opposite of a good suggestion

now I m out of this
    do as you want

20. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Man you're over-dramatising things. He's only connecting line out from his PC to line in on his monitors. That is actually supposed to work that way, but volume control will soon become an issue, I can guarantee you that. :winker:

The more important thing is if he's actually trying to connect the speakers together somehow and then connect only one of them to the PC, like how those POS PC speakers are supposed to work. That can easily explain the problems he's got with the other speaker, and that way he could easily FRY SOMETHING! :facepalm:

This is how you should connect the speakers to your PC:
    [​IMG]