Samson Resolv SE 8 - need help setting them up

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Backtired, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

Apart all the advices provided above which are excellent :yes::wink:, the thing to know is what is the 'real' Line Level Output of your PC (Motherboard integrated Sound Card, I can guess).
    I mean, the 'Line Level Output' of that Sound Card is either '-10dB' (semi-professional standard), or '+4dB' (professional standard). From here, you can either use the 'Audio Inputs' : 'Cinch' for '-10dB', or 'Line'/'XLR' (Balanced) for '+4dB'. This way, you'll get the best audio quality...

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

Yes, solved 100%, you guys were actually too quick (and in this case it's a good thing)!
    Thanks everybody, you cleared a lot on the cables/connections things

3. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

little add
    I personally think that the best thing to do is to give the full view
    then the user can choose what to do
    as I've said I don't care about it, with my cheap gear
    but if we say "go, easy, it's ok" and then one day the user comes back reporting a damage...

a condenser costs cents, a technician from 30 to 60 €, a warranty 2 months of time...
    it's random, it may happen overnight

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

Studio 555 yes my reply was in case of headphones output only

5. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

By going to cinch you lose the balanced connection anyway so you might as well connect straight to the RCA input, nothing changes.

If you have separate line out (most desktops), use that, but for the most part it's not a problem. Those are powered speakers so they don't need to have hot signal going in, like headphones. Which means it's easier to drive them to sound good, thus a headphone output will be more than enough. You just have some extra gain in case you need it. Impedance mismatch isn't that big of a deal, and it only affects long (>5m) cable runs. Just get that 1/8" TRS to cinch and you're good to go. It's got 3 connections - left, right and ground so yes, that's the only cable you need.

6. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

Sooooo you're going to spend $400 on a pair of monitors and use a shitty pc sound card. This doesn't make sense. Invest in a good audio interface first then get monitors.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  7. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

330 dollars to be precise; my soundcard is an integrated one and honestly it never gave me problem.
    As I said I'm going to buy a cheap one later. Besides, I don't think buying the audio interface will improve the sound quality by 300%. It will improve, yes, you are right, but is it necessary FOR ME at the moment? No.
    EDIT: Without counting untreated huge room that will make everything go boom, so yeah. I'm not rich and I don't have a studio like a lot of guys here, I just want a good pair of speakers I don't want to use headphones literally for 6 hours straight when mixing

• List
  8. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Hey man, honestly if you just do electronic music, the only thing you get by using an audio interface is solid connection (no having to use adapters), a bit lower latency with lower CPU hit, and a physical volume knob (great for laptops). Plus the ability to ditch ASIO4All and have one soundcard for both system apps and your DAW. Yes, you no longer have to close your DAW to play a song from youtube after you set it up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

...and to think this guy tried to school me in the previous thread,lol...:deep_facepalm:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

You're right. Also I assumed the only input is XLR and now I just noticed that those monitors offer 3 types of input :)

11. I believe that if you start stacking tracks using the card that came with your computer that it will sputter andl choke. The very long latency that the card will need to be set at for it to avoid glitching, crackling, slowdown and the complete and utter lifeless stoppage will render your flow, what might be easiestly described, as a beaver dam blocking up the water in a stream. It is kind of like what you are doing with the years of knowhow and experience that has been kindly offered to you in your quest to get you up and running.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  12. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

Correct. Electronic music, no recording, and I have a desktop PC, laptops are for pussies :metal:
    I have "auto close" option, whenever I open foobar or any other things that use audio, the Asio4All gets disabled. But it's kinda useless for me; if I have my DAW open I kinda want to make something, don't wanna go on internet or play a videogame.

Thanks all :like:

@sls yes, I'm literally reading every post from here. I know you guys are the best and probably the pro-est I will ever talk to in music regards, so I'm not saying "lul im not gunna buy audio interface". I just said I will later, and not having it it's not that big of a deal for me, for now. Sadly I don't make money with music, this is an hobby

13. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

Impedance mismatching IS A BIG DEAL
    one of the most difficult things to keep undercontrol
    (well difficult... not so difficult, you just have to care about it, if you ignore it... it seems the easiest way but you just close your eyes and cross fingers)
    it requires skills and electric knowledge
    it s meaningful in a studio set up, just as the power phase, ground etc
    people have WALLS of trasformers and pads
    it doesn 't matter if it's all ITB, you still need to hear the sound
    it changes the sound, so you have no real listening references. How can you mix? randomly... more or less
    it can blow circuits on both devices
    if you think it never happens I'll say it happens and people don't realize the cause
    at home, rehearsal rooms, the joy and sure work for technicians
    THEN people can decide if to take the risk or not
    to me it's ok for short times

about the cable lenght, problems only after 5 mt I've never found it or I don't remember this about impedance mismatching, there can be a general loss of values, so also impedance thought
    maybe and I say maybe it's just a loss of signal we're talking about, as istance guitar cables are effected by the lenght and may need a trasformer to compensate the loss.

14. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

ok lol

ghetto style (dirty rotten cable)

IMG_1703.JPG

german trasformers

IMG_1509.JPG

15. Plendix

Plendix Platinum Record

Don't spend much money on that Y-Cable, just get a cheap 3,5,mm headphone jack to cinch. Let's say a 3m cable for about 10€ or $ or whatever. Then splice it so that you got 2 leads from your workstation to the monitors. It would not make sense to invest in fancy -> xlr converters as your audio output isn't balanced. You could easily spend way too much money on this, depending who's advice you follow.
    And i wouldn't care too much about impedance. A headphone output should easily load a line input. (While plugging a headphone to a line output might kill it). Just don't crank the volume up the first times.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Good luck!

17. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Man, that's bullshit. So what, he's gonna lose 0.5dB per 5m of cable at 25kHz? Big deal, especially when he just connects to his PC as short as possible. The only situation where you should care is plugging your guitar (need a DI box or Hi-Z input or it'll suck your high end) and cables >5m (because then signal loss gets noticeable - that is, we're talking like 1dB of attenuation on highs). But even if there's a mismatch... it doesn't "blow circuits", it doesn't explode. If it's serious, you'll hear lack of the high end and that's it. Then you just plug through a DI box and forget that it exists.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

I think most of us make music as a hobby but ask yourself if you want to sacrifice sound quality over a shitty sounding thump from a bass drum. I would rather get an inexpensive audio interface and rock out on some headphone for quality of sound rather than a loud hot muddled mess.

19. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

Focusrite Scarlet Solo $99
    Sony MDR-7506 $79.99

Or get the monitors and spend $99 extra dollars and get an interface. All you will need to spend is $429 for sound quality.

Profit

20. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

I knew it

QRCHAK GO TO SPEAK LIKE THAT WITH YOUR FAMILY, NOT WITH ME
    (about b......t, about connections go to Gearslutz)

your language is inappropriate for an audioforum and your knowledge is ZERO
    * edited: not true, it s not zero, the other messages are correct but headphomes output to rca by Y cable leads to impedance mismatching which is DANGEROUS for circuits

you shouldn't speak anymore after this * edited: just rage, speak how much you want
    but I'll be watching and replying all your wrong infos

You are a big IGNORANT, for your verbal aggressivity and total lack of notions
    what we're talking here IS REALLY AUDIO ABC, CONNECTIONS so you are almost ANALPHABET IN THIS FIELD.
    *edited: not true, re reading. but 1 big fail about impedance and risks

I'm taking the full responsability of my statements, sorry for who said more or less the same of this guy, I 've tried to explain the best I could, giving the 2 options, I use both indeed, but no way.
    At the end, the correct message MUST pass through, sorry for the believers

you said a volume loss of 0.5 DB every 5 mt ??????????????
    without a trasformer you IMMEDIATELY lose 14 DB in 1 mm LOL

B world +4 UB -10
    UB to B PROPER CABLE solve this partially, raising the signal up to 0

QRCHAK why don't you go on Gearslutz to open a thread and ask this? go, go I will reply to you, there

or use the secret service of the misterious foundation called Google to make yourself A CULTURE

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016