Samson Resolv SE 8 - need help setting them up

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Backtired, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

So I'm really new and stupid when it comes to setting up things. These might be the most retarded questions you'll ever see.

I'm going to buy a pair of Samson Resolv SE 8. Now the question is really easy: how do I connect them both to the PC (the classic jack)?

I know, I know, the ideal would be buying a cheap audio interface or something similar I guess and then connect them there, but I can't at the moment and I ideally want to buy a good one later in the future, so for now I'm stuck with PC. So, what cables do I need? Do I need an adapter to put the cable together into only one exit? I'm pretty sure the bundle I'm buying has no cables (except for the power ones) so I'd need to buy them separately and I just needed to know precisely what I need, why, and how to set everything up.

Yes I am that inexpert

3. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

You can see the speakers have XLR balanced input, which is just normal mic cable, or line input, which is TRS or jack cable (should be a stereo jack, not like normal mono guitar cable, but both should work). There's also RCA input, that's the white one. That's the same as the red and white cinch in your hi-fi system or whatever. Just get a stereo 1/8" TRS (mini jack) to RCA (cinch) and you should be good to go for now!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

Don't forget about proper speaker positioning!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

Wait I might actually be retarded.
    Do I really need only ONE of this?
    [​IMG]
    I thought this kind of cables was for ONE speaker only because, in my cheap speakers (that I'm using now), they are together and I just tried and you can pull them apart... woah please make fun of me, mock me and feel free to say anything you want I deserve this

@Army of Ninjas: Oh yeah, the bundle I'm buying (from Thomann.de) has 2 stands included ;)

6. R4pToR

R4pToR Ultrasonic

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. R4pToR

R4pToR Ultrasonic

Yes, only one cable. The red plug goes to the right speaker, white to the left, and 1/8 inch to the computer. Since the cable is analog and not digital, quality matters, but I would save my money in order to eventually use the balanced connections on the monitors instead of buying some nice 1/8 inch stereo to RCA cable.

8. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

Yes, the plan was connecting them to the PC for a while, and later on buy an interface/soundcard and use better connections. But for now these will have to do. (I'm pretty sure I have some of these cables left somewhere, hopefully some of them are good quality ^^)

Thanks everybody, I'm really embarassed now

9. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

sorry just a hint: headphones impedance (if you're using the headphones output from the PC) and unbalanced line impedance don't match.
    There will be an impedance mismatching in my humble opinion.
    in long times it may lead to electric issues, sometimes (I have a cheap laptop and a hi fi cabled like that since years but u know...)
    the sound quality will be affected too.

now, there are trasformers, but they will cost more or less as a cheap audio card
    so... as you said I would put a card on my next shopping list

10. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

I agree with Adamdog. You will definitely want an audio interface soon. Then you can use nice balanced connections. And don't be embarrassed. Everyone starts at the same point. Others will certainly be helped by this info as well. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  12. R4pToR

R4pToR Ultrasonic

The question is very telling of how much experience you have with speakers and other audio gear, but it's not stupid. There are people who are not even curious enough to ask such a question, and they'd have a friend do everything for them. Those people are far more stupid than someone who tries will ever be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

actually there s no way to make a proper cable for UB to B connections, a trasformer is required
    there s a soldering trick for B to UB cables, it solves part of the volume loss but not the impedance mismatching

then as I ve said, I don t care too, but that s the right explaination

14. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

Hey thanks mates, now that's really helpful.
    Basically what you're saying is that, using the simple method with the cable above, I will have some "light" issues, but nothing major. Am I right? Because I can totally pass on something that doesn't affect the quality/gear *that* much. What worries me most is what you said here:
    I'd also appreciate any tips for any cheap interface that could do the work, just so I start to understand how these things work too.

Thanks for all the quick answers

15. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

my ghetto laptop and cheap hi fi system are resisting since like 6 years

16. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

i don t even think that s an audio cable, I think it an electric cable lol

but as I ve said yes the circuits can slowly get ruined
    it s a matter of electric values and properties

17. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

And when they will, buy another cable right? :bleh:

18. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

or buy a cable TV lol

19. R4pToR

R4pToR Ultrasonic

Focusrite's Scarlett 2i2 would be a solid enough cheaper interface. It's kind of the go-to when it comes to good and cheap. There is now a second generation version, so maybe you can find a first generation version on the cheap, though I would hold out for the second generation version if you wish to use it for recording guitar or bass direct. The second generation incarnation is going for $150 USD.

You will be fine, for now, with the single 1/8 inch TRS to RCA cable. Don't get the XLR male to RCA female adapters, because they won't do anything for you. You already have RCA ports on the monitors, and using that adapter won't magically make the connection balanced.

Onboard audio is better than ever, albeit notably worse than using balanced connections. Monitoring is not the best place to pull your punches. In fact, it's the worst. But things will work well enough for you to start, and when you get an interface with balanced outputs, hopefully soon, it will be better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. You will not be using that Y-cable once you buy the interface. And don't you worry yourself over any sort of impedance issues that think will cause catastrophic imbalance between the forces of darkness and of light in the known universe. Think no more of transformers or flux. However do go out at your earliest convenience and get something like a Focusrite Scarlett, cheap as water and as sweet as cheap champagne. The bubbles will tickle your nose.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  21. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

I have like an impression that it s going to turn into another thread about entry level interfaces
    if I may you could open another thread and make a search first to see if there's already one.
    this one seems solved to me... just to say it
    cheers

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List