Samplitude: VstPlugins.ini

Discussion in 'Samplitude' started by au38wzh, May 29, 2016.

1. au38wzh

au38wzh Platinum Record

It seems 'VstPlugins.ini' in (hidden) 'ProgramData'-folder ->MAGIX->Samplitude Pro X2 Suite
    is the key to solve issues with 3rd party VST's in Samplitude.
    At least I solved my problems in samplitude by 'tweaking' 'VstPlugins.ini'.

I wonder how exactly this entries in 'VstPlugins.ini' work in Samplitude:

-DirectoryRecursionDepth=(digit, e.g. 3)
    -DirectoryDisplayDepth=(digit, e.g. 3)
    -ScanSystemPaths=-1

(I'm a Samplitude newbie. I used to work on PC with Logic 5, then till now Studio One 1+2 - Don't like S1-3, that's why I check Samplitude.)

Thanks for any reply :)

3. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Best Answer
    I was gonna explain that on your other post. The first two lines are important. First one defines how many folders sam will scan after you you choose your vst folder. The second defines how many folder will appear. So the number depends how you classify your vsts. I have many folders and I put 6 on both lines. DON'T touch the -1 or it will create problems.
    So you have to do as follow to reset the whole thing. First define the way to your personnal vst folder in samplitude, then click in vst option in samplitude "Scan system VST folders", click apply and close Sam, it will probably scan, it's annoyiung because we are going to make him scan again, but well, it always does that. Then in vstplugins.ini, erase all your plugins that were previously scanned (NOT the ones that are included in Sam, delete the lines after Vita Arp which should be the last of the included plugins. Restart Sam and it will scan all your plugins properly and show them in order.
    I hope that's clear, let me know if some part of this procedure isn't, I'll try to help.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. peghead

peghead Producer

Thank you Talmi.
    That is exactly what I needed to know

5. au38wzh

au38wzh Platinum Record

Thanks Talmi!
    I'm playing around with 'vstplugins.ini' entries, as I can't find much information about 'vstplugins.ini'...

Deleted everything except:
    Iniversion=13256
    DirectoryRecursionDepth=8
    DirectoryDisplayDepth=8

(After my main-VST-folder I have not more than 2 more folders, so 2 should be enough. Will play around with those numbers to find out if the VST-view is changing in Samp)

AND ALSO DELETED -> ScanSystemPaths=-1 (I mean EVERYTHING!)

Then I started Samp with adminrights. Didn't open a project, opened directly 'settings>VST/ReWire' and scanned some folders (some with subfolders) inside my main VST-folder. When scanning the first 3rd party vst folder, Samp is scanning it's own VST before the folder I told Samp to scan. BUT! Samplitude is NOT showing the path I made in my main VST-Folder! Why not? But I can do that manually in the 'vstplugins.ini' - I mean, I can tell Samp that it shows 3rd party vst's in 'plugins-window' that way:
    VSTi -> Company Name -> All the Synths/FX of the company one below the other

Well, this isn't very user friendly, but it's a workaround...
    And what happened to 'SystemPaths=-1'? It's there again without any problems.
    As mentioned above I will go on with playing around with 'vstplugins.ini' entries and will analyze it's structure. That's how I can hopefully force Samp to show VST's the way I want :guru:

6. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

No problem.
    @au38wzh If you want your folder the way you organised them, you simply have to follow the procedure as I've explained. It really works, I reinstall all the time it's the way to go. See my screenshots above I have both the vst3 in the way they are organised in the vst3 folder you can't move (in program files) with my personnal vsts organised with my folder structure. I just changed the two lines I've mentioned, crossed the right options in saamplitude settings and that's it.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  7. au38wzh

au38wzh Platinum Record

@Talmi: your procedure is the cure :bow: Thank you very much! :wink:

Btw: Do you start Samplitude with adminrights?
    And whats the meaning of '-1' in 'ScanSystemPaths=-1'?
    After the scanning I got a '3' there.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  8. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Cool, I'm glad it worked.
    Yeah the three is the right value once you've reorganised, that's also what I get.
    I don't launch with admin rights but I'm in Windows 7, maybe for the latest Windows it's necessary, I'm not sure. If it works, you probably shouldn't change it.