Samplitude Pro X6 vs Reaper 6 in 2021

Discussion in 'DAW' started by tzzsmk, Sep 15, 2021.

1. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

Hey folks,

I am well aware of very similar thread from January 2018 here, but 3 years later I wouldn't hesitate to say Samplitude Pro X doesn't seem to evolve as much as Reaper has done,

one of main reasons I'm starting this thread is, original Samplitude Pro X (1) basically reached end of life now, when it's no longer possible to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 on Windows 10, which sadly is a mandatory dependency for old Samplitude Pro X functionality,

so, some friends of mine need to either buy full Pro X6 or consider different DAW
    - me being happy Reaper user, former Samplitude (and Sonar) user and somewhat-hater-of-Windows-10, I think Reaper makes most sense as worthy alternative (+price difference gives nice headroom to buy fancy plugins to compensate some stock Reaper plugins), but I'm not at all saying new up-to-date Samplitude would be a bad DAW either,
    obviously "old dogs can't learn neu triks" so I am aware new DAW would mean more trouble and more calls I'd need to handle...
    :chilling:

I'm familiar with both DAWs, so I'd like to know your thoughts on the matter now in 2021 - Samplitude Pro X6 nowadays compared to current Reaper 6

any opinions welcome, but please stay on topic if possible

:bow:

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. mrichi

mrichi Producer

As a past Sampltude user, going back to the Sek'd days, agree that Samplitude is falling further and further behind. Bugs, instability and, compatibility issues continue along with no real updates to features. New skins for plugins and a GUI makeover do nothing for the aforementioned.Digital Performer and, to a lesser extent, Studio One suffer from the same problems.

My personal DAWs for now are Pro Tools & Reaper for Windows. Logic Pro for macOS.

Reaper and Bitwig Studio will be the choice if Windows 11 convinces me to move on to Linux.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

ive been using reaper to test plugins. it fires up in a few secs. no other daw can do that on pc. VST scan super fast too.

In the stock plugin department reaper seems a bit weak, i agree.

If i had to choose btw Reaper or Samplitude, it would be Reaper.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Ankit

Ankit Guest

This DAW duo is the best IMHO.

6. Yorkz

Yorkz Noisemaker

I've always had a soft spot for Samplitude and decided to try it again recently. But I uninstalled it once again after I realized that midi fx routing with plugins such as Cthulhu or Scaler are really clumsy and glitchy. That's a deal breaker for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. Ŧยχøя

Ŧยχøя Audiosexual

I'd say Reaper and Logic are two of the Best options..

Unless you're into Electronic music, where Reason, Bitwig, or FL could be better..
    Or Live EDM shows, where Ableton or perhaps Akai MPC could be preferable..

Cubase could be good if you need to interact with a lot of hardware via MIDI,
    and ProTools looks solid for the most part if you like that workflow, or need to adhere to it for whatever reason..

UAD Luna looks pretty good indeed, although it's quite new/still growing,
    but yeah it's mainly for UAD HW users I guess..

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. Olymoon

Olymoon MODERATOR Staff Member

Samplitude Pro X6 vs Reaper 6 in 2021

I loved Samplitude, and was interested to read answers here, but too many are not comparing these 2 DAW.

I'm actually using Reaper every day, and coming back to Samplitude is a nightmare.

I would chose Reaper. Also for it's price and updates.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

To put your quote into context, no daw with 20 GB of vst and au to scan can scan them instantly and therefore load instantly.
    I have never seen it, even with a top rig in a commercial studio.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

Its been very long i tested Samplitude. Alone the GUI gives me nightmares. (And knowing it in Magix hands, it scares me somehow).

Reaper feels like a software you need really trying to get it to crash? It feels solid.

Reapers price wow. If had not already bought a DAW, i would buy it. Price is very good and updates roll in quickly without a fuss.

For me its def reaper upon rethinking.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. tchouangtseu

tchouangtseu Kapellmeister

Long time Samplitude user, since 2004... I used to love many functions and the editing possibilities but the DAW feels outdated to me now...and quite unstable compared to others.

I 'm starting to use Reaper as well, so i need to learn a bit more about it to make a proper comparison (plus i mix in ableton now...), and even if i come back to Samplitude from time to time i think Reaper makes more sense in 2021...

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  12. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

Reaper ALL the way. Only downside is that Reaper lacks VSTi but the stock plugins are excellent.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. mrichi

mrichi Producer

Reaper is fast compared to other DAWs scanning plgins for the first time. After that, Reaper loads very quicly every time only scanning any changes/updates to plugins.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Recoil

Recoil Guest

I still use Sam Pro X6 on Windows 7 x64, unfortunately I have to, because for the Independence sampler I created a huge sample library :yes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. mrichi

mrichi Producer

With the amount of free, donationware & retail plugins available, there is no pressing need for Cockos to develop VSTi.

If you take a look at the SM MegaReaper Drumkit, you, will see what can be done with ReaSamplomatic & the tools available in Reaper.
    Then there are the JSFX plugins such as Geraint Luff's Padsynth.

16. Recoil

Recoil Guest

17. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I forgot to mention, primary use would be voice/podcast/speech, little to none music production, so lack of virtual instruments is actually an advantage :disco:

actually many user scripts for Reaper aren't free, like some of MPL stuff:
    [​IMG]

sure various paid plugins like Fabfilter offer incredible value in relatively compact package of plugins, which I think is a more versatile solution than plugins bundled within any DAW, but that's a different discussion topic I guess :yes:

18. tchouangtseu

tchouangtseu Kapellmeister

Haha no doubt mate! Its just that when they introduce it I already made the move to Kontakt and couldnt be bothered to use independence...

19. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

Have you seen this? 6 custom actions for podcast editing - Daniel Abendroth - REAPER for Podcasting - YouTube

Reaper FTW. Light weight, simple, highly customizable, can run in any potato and do whatever you want to do with it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Ankit

Ankit Guest

I love Reaper but it is still missing some workflow related options for producers. Is there any js or native alternate of DDMF MetaPlugin to use in Reaper? Or something like Studio One's Splitter? Or any faster way of parallel effects processing without creating a new track?

• List
  21. odod

odod Rock Star

REAPER FTW .. lighweight, costumisable and it is pocket friendly :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List