Samplitude compared to Reaper

Discussion in 'Samplitude' started by filtersweep, Jan 17, 2018.

1. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

i am willing : )
    As you say options seem pretty limitless. i am really enjoying it.

2. AudioGL

AudioGL Ultrasonic

I am sure reaper and other daw users after watching this video they will respect samplitude.

best sonic transparenty

i love samplitude

please watch the video below

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

Bro i dont wana get to into this ive been here befor haha \m/ >>> ive tested every DAW on this planet and Yes their playback engines sound Different \m/ lol >>> BUT BUT BUT >>> if all Daw's here was set to default then its less convincing ;)>>> Stock Pan Law, Latency, blah blah blah all settings must be the same >>> their floating point,dither settings is one the biggest along with pan law ;) .... But to not discredit this guys work on his test Cause Samplitudes playback Engine is stellar in the least ;) But i myself have done this test with Reaper,Sonar,Protools 12,Samplitude,Cubase,Harrison Mixbus,Mixbus32C,Studio One, FL Studio,Ableton >>> an guess what my man ??? letme just say All setting identical first >>> Harrison Mixbus playback engine was better than the rest to my Ears ;) Samplitude,Cubase, come a close second >>> then the rest of the DAW's where close to eachothers sound.... Yes they do Sound Different on playback but in my Test every one of them Nulled to complete silence ;) WHY ??? cause i properly set them all up to be equal >>> try it yourself >>> all settings identical \m/ Then Render the file then tell me if they then null \m/ >>> But i will Agree their playback Engines do sound different... ;)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  4. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

Whatever your DAW of choice may be >>>if you get a good mix in it and love it then thats the DAW for you >>> i can get better mixes in Sonar cause im used to it and love it ;) i love Cubase an use Protools too>>> and im catching onto Reaper an love it aswell >>> But as always whatever works best for the mixer \m/

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. The Phank

The Phank Noisemaker

Here's the problem with null tests: if you use dither properly, nothing should null perfectly. Think about it. TPDF dither is noise. Noise is random. If I bounce the same file twice from the exact same DAW, the RNG will spit out slightly different results. Huge names in audio like Jim Johnston, Paul Frindle, and Bob Ohlsson all agree on this. If two files null to -144dBFS (the technical limit of 24 bit audio) you messed up. Is this actually audible? My gut says no, but I like to cross my T's and dot my I's :wink:

That's not even jumping down the rabbit hole of noise shaping methods between various floating point bit depths and the merits of 32 bit vs. 64 bit vs. 80 bit. All I'll say is Samplitude/Sequoia are the only DAWs to my knowledge that use different floating point bit depths for different tasks. In the end, the best DAW is the one you feel most comfortable with. I like Samplitude because it has the nerd seal of approval. It's bulky, cumbersome, and the UI ain't pretty, but I can deal with it because people with better ears than mine trust it. If workflow is your main concern, definitely go with Reaper. I love it for farting out ideas and it does run like a dream.

EDIT: and to be clear, I absolutely believe none of this matters in the grand scheme of things. Don't argue about DAWs and dithering, just make kick ass tunes! :guitarhero::drummer::metal:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  6. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

I see your point....but I had dither off.....I was saying if these DAWs in the video was set to default....all settings where different dither was on....that was my point \m/ no argument at all its fact ;) yes make records like you said I've been doin it for 20 years....it is my bread an butter ;)

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Just stumbled across this I had similar results when there was a big argument about hearing differences or not:

https://recording.org/threads/3-daws-3-sounds-reaper-vs-sonar-vs-samplitude.63284/#post-455686

Video Link:

8. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

9. sir jack spratsky

sir jack spratsky Producer

i have used every DAW mentioned above......from ableton to reaper...all have some killer features,......then i found studio one,,,and i havent opened another DAW since....i even master my own stuff in S1......workflow +++++

10. filtersweep

I agree, Studio One is excellent, it is superfast workflow and it's uncluttered. it's catching up fast to other comparable DAWs. it's like using Cubase but without the bloat and those floating f***in windows.

11. Recoil

Recoil Guest

I stopped comparing Samplitude and I started using it :winker:

12. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Current version stable on my off-line system and, loads very fast now. Loving it!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  13. Agent007

Agent007 Banned

Would you trust the opinion of someone that doesn't even know how to properly position his own monitors? I would not.

14. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

reaper is great for mastering individual songs ,testing stuff and small local community projects as i see it. sampitude is great too, i have never used it for any serious projects at all, is it the software or me, i dunno. i use studio one 4 daily , it delivers, looks cool too hahh

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. filtersweep

Samplitude us genuinely powerful. it's object based editing is the best of it's kind. The plugins and overall sound quality are excellent. But there are a few problems i have with it. First is the interface and navigating in it. i really find it a pita for zooming etc. also the automation curves need an overhaul. In fact a really good overhaul of the whole interface would make it sooo much better. and the midi could do with improvement. that being said i really like it over Reaper ( today anyway) is that Reaper has so many options that i'm still customizing it now. SAM can be honed down in a way that makes for faster workflow.
    but i do have problems with SAM ( for reasons mentioned) so i am currently spending some time with Studio One and for the most part really liking it. it can do most things so much quicker than other DAWs i have tried.
    the main thing i hate about SAM? the help and getting specific information ( in English). it's terrible. there is like one guy who does videos ( Kraznet) and that's about it. there are parts of the program that not even forum users seem able to answer....

16. eldarktufa

eldarktufa Guest

And...to make things even more complicated:
    Is it possible to love more than one DAW?
    And to love more than one woman or man?
    :dont: :rofl:

17. maktoets

maktoets Newbie

loving more than one is playing the field .lol