Samplers for the orchestra

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by foster911, Jun 28, 2016.

1. foster911

foster911 Guest

Hi to all!
    I'm not a good host but let me first receive you my guests with respectful ceremony and majestic amenities and kingly foods and drinks. You're the best.
    [​IMG]

Bon appetit!:bow:

Really simple question:
    I'm kinda of passionate for learning the orchestral works so would you please name all the samplers best suited for this purpose with the favorable samples? Thanks my colleagues!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2016
  3. krakenfart

krakenfart Ultrasonic

inane post - (yet again)! There's a special place called Google, where you can do stuff like research!

4. foster911

foster911 Guest

Thanks, yes you're absolutely right but I need people who have used them previously from the sister site for providing me better access.

BTW, did you enjoy the meal? :bleh:

5. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

Great Idea to widen your musical horizon... :thumbsup::guru:

For the 'Samplers' (Engine), most of the Sampler Engines available on the Market can do the 'trick', however 'Kontakt' allows you to use the 'Round Robin' feature which can be used to create very realistic Instruments, and in the case of 'real' Instruments as these found within an Orchestra (Symphonic, or any other kind of smaller Orchestra), certainly nothing better to emulate the proper articulations, nuances,... of these acoustical Instruments. :yes::wink:

For the 'Samples' (Libraries), there's probably no 'favorable' Samples apart if you're looking for a or several specific Instruments, and you can find nowadays almost endless 'Sample Libraries' covering either specific Orchestral Instruments, or a full Symphonic Orchestra within a same 'Sample Library' (e.g. 'EastWest Quantum Leap' aka 'EWQL', 'Kirk Hunter',... ).

As you're talking about this 'Brother's Site', simply launch a 'Search' over there, and you'll find a lot of 'Sample Libraries' covering all the Elements (Instruments) which comprise an Orchestra... :yes::wink:

Good quest ! :winker:

P.S: 'AudioZ' is a masculine site, so you must call it : 'Brother's Site', not 'Sister's Site' !!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

7. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

foster911 first of all wish you best in your 'orchestral' endeavours. This genre involves so much emotions, drama and life which you soon going to explore. I am no expert but will tell you what 'I' think is best after experiments. But others may have different opinions so take what you think suits in your needs.

Samplers: Kontakt (best), Vienna symphonic sampler (next), UVI Falcon
    My recommendation is Kontakt. If you haven't yet, learn it from different sources; youtube could be the best.

Samples: There are lots and lots of choices if kontakt being the sampler.

For starters I recommend (and use myself) East west symphonic orchestra Gold (or Pro). Advantage: Many articulations, full blown orchestral library. Disadvantage: Only one mic, cannot be easily mixed with an external reverb as the samples are recorded wet. However if you upgrade you can get close mic as well. Impression: You can extensively learn a typical orchestra.

ProjectSam Symphobia: This is my must have library. If carefully mixed, it can create that big sounding cinematic music which you hear in movies. It also has everything apart from percussion. The multis itself are worth for head banging. Two mics; Stage and Close. Can't recommend enough.

Spitfire: Don't have it but one of the best sounding libraries in the market.

EWQL Hollywood series: Pro series. Created by Nick Phoenix, Thomas Burgersen (Two step from hell composers) and Dough Rogers. As you can see these big names, you can imagine how big it could be both in terms of sound and resources as well as space. Again can't recommend enough.

Cinematic Strings, Cinematic Studio Strings: For that lovely, silky and mellow sound. Just start working out of the box. Check demos, you will love it. Very detailed and easy to work with. Less articulations.

Vienna Symphonic library: May be you can't achieve that big Hollywood sound but it will give you the classical orchestral sound. Used by pros and sound quite original. Highly praised, widely used in ads and movies both alone and layering. Dry samples, hundreds of articulations. Expensive.

Above are just few names to quote. There is lot out there like 8dio, Orchestral tools, Cinesamples, Aria sound, Soaring strings, etc but the above list at least get you started.

Best :like:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. foster911

foster911 Guest

Music world is so wide and diverse that by focusing in one side you lose simply other ones. In the past I was trying to concentrate on the electronic genres and respective tools and was omitting other ones but recently by Audiosex Cinematic album I got more attentive about the sounds rising from the actual instruments. I know it's so late for letting me into the game of living with the instruments and kind of failure for me but I want to make up leeway.:mates:

9. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

Don't worry. With devotion and experimentations you will get through. Well, this applies for any genre.

10. LV4-26

LV4-26 Guest

Hardware or software? Look at Roland SP-404SX. This is the one I use in addition to Korg pro Kronos 88
    And obviously the fabulous Kontakt 5

11. safran5020

safran5020 Platinum Record

Do you realy think your answer was helpful? The guy wants this community's opinion.
    If you have nothing better to reply maybe you should just move on to the next thread.

12. LoveKavi

LoveKavi Kapellmeister

Kontakt libraries 100%.

Spitfire libraries are perfect for orchestras. HZ uses them a lot, and actually a lot of his scores are drafted using Spitfire libraries, to the point they sound almost the same as the finished soundtrack with real instruments. Spitfire have a lot of life to them, mostly because they are recorded in studios in London (I think maybe Air Studios) that have a lot of space for the instruments to breathe.

East West have a quite a few but are kinda outdated (but still perform incredibly well).

8dio have a few good libraries but are hit and miss really.

Fluffy Audio and Embertone have good singular instruments such as Flutes, Violins etc...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Skull

Skull Producer

Best Service Complete Orchestral Collection.

ALL. THE. GODDAMN. WAY.

14. krakenfart

krakenfart Ultrasonic

'Safran5200.

I stand by my comments 100%. If a person does not even try to help themselves and gets people in the community to do all the research for them then they should be brought to book. If they show informed comments then I'm fine by that but inane comments are pointless, and the matter of favourite classical libraries is purely subjective. If this person was in my class they would get an 'F'.

Further, take the time to read his previous posts and you'll clearly see they are written by multiple people. Sometime the English is impeccable and at other times it's extremely rough. This person is a troll and you haven't even realised it. Carry on defending the idiot and carry on wasting your time, it's your time to waste after all.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  15. LoveKavi

LoveKavi Kapellmeister

Troll or not.

A lot of the google searches may come down to a forum. Making this thread could help countless other people searching for this on Google. Also a lot on google may be by blogs and companies with skewed ratings and reviews. So as a community we learn to trust each other and overall we like this forum and the people on it. So asking people on this forum adds to the community and really lets us give you our own opinion and reviews on products or whatever. You say the matter of a favourite classical libraries is purely subjective. Yes, it is. Just like anything else. However when 10000 people say a product is good and 1 person says it is bad, usually subjective is thrown out the window because you place trust in the mass majority. So when it comes to our opinions on a product, if many of us point out 1 particular library, then maybe that will give that person some hope in that product if it has worked for many people.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. Batoumba

Batoumba Producer

A quickstart to get you into composing some orchestral tunez
    http://www.loopmasters.com/articles...ning-Instrument-Placement-in-the-Stereo-Field

download Parallax-Audio - Virtual Sound Stage Pro v2.0 fx vst plugin from our brother site . Try it out with some samples you might have. This will familiarise you with orchestral sounds positioning and panning in general.

download IK.Multimedia.Miroslav.Philharmonik.DXi.VSTi.RTAS.v1.1.2 (its the version im using ,runs fine on most setups) ,Start messing around with it , make ensembles or play single sounds

i'd recommend getting a good choir e.g Soundiron Venus Womens Choir Kontakt pack and a harp eg Spitfire.Audio.Harp.REDUX.V.2.1.KONTAKT too and a piano pack N.I Giant for exmaple. After getting used to that you can start making a more dedicated library
    for example these samplepacks are some of the best:

Woodwinds : Orchestral.Tools.Berlin.Woodwinds.v1.6.UPDATE.KONTAKT + Expansions A B and C /8Dio.Claire.Oboe.Virtuoso.KONTAKT/8Dio.Claire.Virtuoso.Bundle.KONTAKT/Westgate.Studios.Modular.Series.Flute.KONTAKT/Westgate.Studios.Modular.Series.Clarinets.KONTAKT (Spitfire Albion packs have woodwinds and brass too they are not dedicated string sections)

Strings : 8Dio.Adagietto.KONTAKT/8Dio.Adagio.Basses.Vol.1.KONTAKT/8Dio.Adagio.Cellos.Vol.1.KONTAKT/8Dio.Adagio.Violas.Vol.1.KONTAKT/8Dio.Adagio.Violins.v.1.1.KONTAKT/AudioBro.LA.Scoring.Strings.2.KONTAKT/Cinematic.Strings.2.0.KONTAKT/Spitfire.Audio.LLP.Solo.Strings.KONTAKT/Spitfire.Audio.Albion.Vol.1.KONTAKT/Spitfire.Audio.Albion.Vol.2.Loegria.KONTAKT/Spitfire.Audio.Albion.Vol.3.Iceni.KONTAKT/Spitfire.Audio.BML.Sable.Strings.Vol.1.KONTAKT/
    Spitfire.Audio.BML.Sable.Strings.Vol.2.KONTAKT/Spitfire.Audio.BML.Sable.Strings.Vol.3.KONTAKT

Brass : Sample.Modeling.The.Trombone.KONTAKT/Sample.Modeling.The.Trumpet.KONTAKT/Sample.Modeling.The.Saxophones.v1.1.1-R2R/Sample.Modeling.French.Horn.and.Tuba.v1.03.KONTAKT/Best.Service.Chris.Hein.Horns.Vol.1.Solo.Instruments.v1.5.KONTAKT/Cinesamples.CineBrass.CORE.KONTAKT/Cinesamples.CineBrass.PRO.KONTAKT/Spitfire.Audio.BML.Low Brass.KONTAKT/Spitfire.Audio.BML.Horn.Section.Vol.1.KONTAKT

Percussion : Spitfire.Audio.Percussion.Redux.v.1.3.KONTAKT/Evolution.Series.World.Percussion.2.0.KONTAKT/Discrete.Drums.Series.III.Earth.Beat.Pro.Set.MULTiTRACK

Piano : Best.Service.Galaxy.II.K4.Vienna.Grand.KONTAKT /8Dio.1969.Steinway.Legacy.Grand.Piano.KONTAKT

You dont need all of these , so dont be overwhelmed like i was a long time ago,each one has its pros and cons and different sound ,but im sure if you have enough hd space you will enjoy playing thru all of them and ending up with your favorite selection !!!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  17. foster911

foster911 Guest

I love and trust this forum and its members (even you sir) more than any other formal or informal classes because people here are first-class.

Your sentence aroused my curiosity. Please don't consider this messing in your affairs. What do you teach? If music theory and harmony, please let me page you.:bow:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2016