Sampler with automatic Pitch Map

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by jojofun, Jan 8, 2019.

1. jojofun

jojofun Ultrasonic

Ok, ya'll.
    It's now 2019. Where are the smart samplers? Ya know, the one's in which you can just drop (a sample) and play?

So far, the only samples I've seen that have root pitch detection are
    - Reason's NN-XT (zone mapping)
    - Image-Line's DirectWave
    - CWITEC TX16Wx
    - Steinberg's Halion 6 (much potential, but feels like a mess)
    - Native Instruments FORM
    ..?

Also, some wavetable synths can set the correct root pitch for wavetables, but this is usually a process that takes even more preparation than using IL's Edison, Melodyne, or looking at frequency peaks in a spectrum analyzer.

My DAW of choice: Reaper
    My current sampling (instrument recreation) workflow (for one-shot samples):
    - Either NI FORM (if it sounds good) or
    - Voxengo SPAN (for "pitch detection") then either TAL Sampler (retro) or Kontakt (Time Machine algos)

Note: FORM is my latest addition to the tool palette. I really dig its purpose, but sometimes, its pitch map can sound pretty glitchy (for sample containing fast pitch shifts) and there seems to be a kind of rubbery sound it has on many samples, due to its not being a sampler but more of a synth that chops and cross-fades sections.

My issue:
    I'm seeing bits and pieces of a workable solutions for pitch detection for ALL sample types.
    There are different approaches to detecting samples root pitches (e.g. sustained pitches, noisy samples, highly transient samples, etc.)

Now we have tools that detect sample types (e.g. bass, percussion, etc.), some that attempt to detect pitches (from FFT, spectral data, etc.), and even some can make detect viable loop regions. None of them are truly dependable when it comes to pitch detection, however, other than Melodyne, it seems.

Why can't I just drop a one-shot into a sampler and play without having to set the root pitch?
    Doing those extra preparatory steps sometimes get in the way of the immediacy that currently should be a reality.

My request:
    Are there any tools that anyone know of that can remedy my issues with the shortcomings of today's VST samplers? I say shortcomings b/c there is definitely a lack of cutting edge samplers, despite the existing examples of how sample data can be accessed and processed.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  3. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

there is a lack of quality samplers in my opionion, I'm actually quite interested in this as well

4. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

My favourite creative sampler is Avenger at the moment.
    It let's me :
    • transform a folder with samples into a multisample
    • use a sample as granular or wavetable source
    • add effects
    and all without the unnecessary complexity and small fonts GUI of Kontakt.

To detect the keys of samples I just use my ear and http://www.ibrahimshaath.co.uk/keyfinder/ to append the note names to the files.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

DiscoDSP Bliss is also quite fun , it lets you automatically resample VSTs, it even exports SFZ files.

• List
  6. EAR TO LEARN

EAR TO LEARN Producer

Serato Sample is what I use

• List
  7. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

I've used Izotope Iris with RPR before. It does pitch detection.

• List
  8. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

Ableton has a lot of options between the "sampler" and simpler" plugins. You can drop a sample and have it auto pitchmapped across all keys. If you need to find the pitch of the sample Live has a tuner plugin that simply displays what notes a sample is playing. Not sure if this is what you mean but hope it helps!