Sample library vs sample library

Discussion in 'Education' started by Wolfang, Feb 24, 2023.

1. Wolfang

Wolfang Producer

There are two kinds of sample libraries on the market.
    Type A: Virtual instrument like Kontakt libraries. It is called VSTi.
    Type B: The sound which is recorded by someone with beats and melody.

But, it is told without clear statement. Thus, it's really confusing if someone doesn't state/point it. Especially, most music library companies don't allow the sample ones. So, I'm wondering if they are talking about both of them or just type B?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
  3. clone

clone Audiosexual

"A" is a poor example with Kontakt being referred to as "VSTi". Kontakt is the VSTi, and what you are loading into it is a library comprised of waveform samples. The "I" in VSTi differentiates Instrument Plugins from others, because they generate sound as opposed to processing existing sound. Some Instruments use waveform audio and presets as their content; or just use parameter data in a proprietary patch or file format.

For "A" to actually exist, you would have to resample Kontakt or other software sound source; while both your examples are really just B, a collection of audio waveform samples. aka library.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
  4. Wolfang

Wolfang Producer

Ok, I changed a bit for type B. IMO, creating music using A and B is pretty different. A is a kind of instrument, but B is not. Type B is kinda editing from someone's creation and re-create a new one.
    If you watch Youtube, you can find people say both of them as sample library.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2023
  5. clone

clone Audiosexual

people can call things whatever they like. a library is a collection of things, as 1 unit of measure for the entire content of <whatever> as a whole.

6. ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ

ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ Platinum Record

Kontakt is a VSTi Sampler that loads *Sampled instrument libraries..
    *(real recorded instruments)

Regular Synths, and other instruments like Pianoteq or Modo Bass, are purely Digital instruments,
    and ofc are also delivered in VSTi format..

7. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

Since Kontakt is also a sampler, you can actually load 'Type B' samples into it, too. So it's not like A and B libraries are something completely different...

I don't really unterstand this though. Why should library companies allow something? :dunno:

8. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

Best Answer
    I see your point, and yes they are technically both sample libraries so nothing wrong there, but...

I don't know. There's usually is some statement in some form or another. In the official description of a sample library you should find words like "loops", "phrases", and all those little sample types that can sort of tell you what kind of sample library are you looking at. It's not always "in your face" but there is something. You could add self made samples froma popular song, but i don't think sample packs of those are a thing, sounds like a legal nightmare. Could be wrong though.

Type B for sure. I'm not sure if there's something like a library detecting algorythm, but most conflicts happen when things sound too similar to each other. If you're using a violin library that is doing your melody note by note, that has way less chances of being similar to something else than if you were using a pre built "one key" loop/phrase that has been used somewhere else.

BTW, are music library companies actually and not allowing samples? Like, is that part of the rules now or more of an urban legend? I can see the legal part could get a little tricky, but straight up banning them?

9. Dimentagon

Dimentagon Rock Star

I don't see your point.. all virtual instruments are either stand-alone or use a plugin format.
    Pretty much everything in every format is a form of waveform sampling, synthesis or generation.
    Libraries collections of sounds arranged into triggerable or playable formats.

10. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

To whom are you replying? The OP?

11. Wolfang

Wolfang Producer

Thanks for the smart answer ;) You got my point!
    I'm sure that music library companies don't allow samples. They have the guideline for it. It totally makes sense. A piece of music that is made with samples could sound similar. I guess they are trying to avoid the lawsuit.
    If you try to upload your song to their library, you will face the guideline.