Sample libraries on external hard drive?

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by Haydnberg, Jan 3, 2016.

1. E.C.R

E.C.R Platinum Record

defrag sdd big nono...I learnt the hard way...

2. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

What?

3. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

I just bought a low-budget Toshiba drive with 4TB speed 7200 rpm for my android box (films and bluerays).

it delivers good speed around 200 MB/s for both Read and Write wich is way more over what i need since the box i bought support Sata III connection. It cost me around € 120 (110 $).

I'll suggest Toshiba while my other WD since are all green driver are slower when it comes to R/W.

4. funk86

funk86 Newbie

May i chime in and ask you guys something similar to topic starter. Should i get more RAM or should i get a SSD and transfer my libraries there to get a better and faster perfomance of big Kontakt libs and Omnisphere. Everything is batch resaved already.

5. E.C.R

E.C.R Platinum Record

crashed my whole system , had to buy a new sdd and get reinstalled, the sdd did a whole lot of partitioning and lost data and then I couldn't log in any more as the sdd drive "no longer exists" :(

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. E.C.R

E.C.R Platinum Record

how much ram do you have now?

7. funk86

funk86 Newbie

I have 8GB and want to upgrade to 16. Tired of convertting Kontakt channels to audio to work without glitches.

8. E.C.R

E.C.R Platinum Record

It will certainly help with the sound and cpu control, wont make much dif to load time though, 16gb is a lot better than 8 no doubt

9. jaymo99

jaymo99 Platinum Record

FYI
    Actually its Kontakt > FILES >sample rebatch.
    there is no sample rebatch option in Options.

before someone goes digging thru Options pulling there hair out cause they can't find "sample rebatch"

10. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

No... Its Files > Batch Re-save.. as I said.

11. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

First we assume your CPU is able to handle more performance from Kontakt/Omnisphere. Because glitches can be a CPU problem.

With an SSD you can lower dramatically Kontakt's buffer. I don't know if Omnisphere has this option or equivalent. But big SSD drives are expensive. I'd say it depends of how much space do you use with Kontakt and Omnisphere.

On the other hand with more RAM you can raise the same buffer. Libraries would take longer to load but there would be more performance. And in some scenarios you need more RAM no matter how fast your libraries disk is.

It's a tough choice because both SSD or more RAM have many advantages. You've to consider other factors.

12. Einander

Einander Noisemaker

My experience: Hell no, I bought a decent external HDD years ago, one of the first USB3 ones, Adata. It worked for 2 years, solid speed, everything fine. And then out of nothing, after 2 years the disk was unable to read - almost 1T of sample libraries etc. was lost. This may not happen to everyone and it's still just my experience, but I think that nowdays some solid inner SSD should do the work just fine, as it's not as expenisve as it used to be ;)

13. Always Grateful

Always Grateful Kapellmeister

My advice as earlier mentioned put everything on blue ray 50gb or 100gb Verbatim discs and put in fireproof safe. some SSD are sensitive to shop/airport scanners Fireproof safe https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sour...n=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=fireproof+safe&tbm=shop

14. jaymo99

jaymo99 Platinum Record

sorry didn't see you actually say it just mention it another user said it was under the options tab, which it is NOT , at least on my PC

15. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I'm testing a SSD-caching-HDD solution and like I expected it works like a charm regarding speeding up a HDD.

It's better to buy an hybrid disk or a hardware caching solution (like intel RST) but still it seriously kicks asses. I mention it because it's particularly good with fast and numerous read only operations like playing sampled VSTi's like Omnisphere or Kontakt libraries. Wow man...