Ryzen 3800X for a DAW?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Bunford, Nov 17, 2019.

1. NicoDPS

NicoDPS Platinum Record

I've just build a PC with a Ryzen 3700 X, I couldn't test it as much as I want yet, but it looks very promising compared with my old i7-3770k.

2. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

You guys should see this. Intel fucked their latest CPU just to catch up with AMD 3950X
    However, in most of the tests, AMD in Stock frequency performs better than Intel in Stock (while AMD is $250 cheaper!)

For overclocking, custom cooling systems are needed that are not possible for everyone.

See benchmarks in this spoiler:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Gaming benchmarks indicate single cor unless noted for games with multi-core coding.

Graphics programs & analytic programs are coded more for CPU usage but, there are exceptions where coding leans CPU, GPU or both.

The other issue is motherboard, BIOS & memory. How well these are designed & developed will let any decent CPU operate effortlessly.

4. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Its funny when people trash hardware and companies as if its a personal vendetta against Intel now.
    Competition is great, use what you need and move on to the next project it aint 2005 any more, any +300$ cpu will get you far in this game.

5. WHughes

WHughes Newbie

Does anyone have any experience with VSTi/audio recording latency with the Ryzen 3900??

I was about to jump ship from Intel on the basis of processing speed per $, potential thunderbolt built in ( e.g AS Rock Creator) , CPU compromise (Spectre and ZombieLandetc) etc but...if the hit to latency is too much of an issue I will think twice. I have a thunderbolt interface and would like to use 32 or 64 buffer size but need it to be stable

Any real world experience would be really appreciated

6. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Cubase Pro 10 - Win10 Pro build 1903 - Ryzen 2700X on AMD B450, 32gb ram, Samsung 970 Evo for system, Samsung 860 Evo for audio recs and some libs, Steinberg UR824 USB2.
    50 audio tracks @ 24b/96k, 4 Omnisphere ch. and 4 Kontakt, tested recording 8 simultaneous tracks(drumset), buffer at 64samples, roundtrip latency was ~2.5 ms. Cpu @ ~55-60%. Tested the same with Cakewalk, latency was about the same. Changing the buffer to 128 raised the latency to 3-3.5 ms, drummer was sort of feeling it, but performed fine. Note that all these tests are without any kind of delay compensation.

Cubase Pro 10 - Win 10 Pro build 1909 - Ryzen 3700x on AMD x570 and all the rest similar but with UAD Apollo x8p Thunderbolt, RTL was better than the 2700X system by ~1ms at both 64 and 128 samples buffer size. If i can note something here, is UAD's Windows driver leaves a bitter sweet taste. It works fine but it still needs some fine tuning. Apart than that it's a very solid interface. Cpu was @ 45-50%. Also tested the same project with Cakewalk, which showed slightly increased latency at the expense of slightly less cpu load, but not really noticeable changes.
    As far as the cpus go, there is some measurable cpu latency that inherently comes from AMD's chiplet design as opposed to Intel's monolithic die. Ryzen 3xxx though has improved a lot, i haven't noticed any issues. (On a personal note, i wouldn't be surprised if Intel moved to a similar chiplet design, their new 56 core Xeon is actually two 28cores sharing one die, but the design seems kind of rushed imho.)
    I also tested those comps with my trusted Motu 424 pci-e card hooked on a HD192 interface (which i have for 14 yrs now) and i was able to run the same project while recording the same 8 tracks at about 2.5 ms RTL for the 64s buffer and about 3-3.5ms for the 128s buffer.
    Hope this offers you some perspective :)
    Cheers

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. WHughes

WHughes Newbie

Thanks taskforce...much appreciated.
    Was also considering moving to Apollo x4 in time (currently using Quantum). As it is new I might allow the dust to settle if there are driver niggles.

thanks again for your input.

8. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Buildzoid's massive AM4 motherboard roundup 2019 // ALL X570 X470 and B450

Buildzoid's list of noteworthy 4x8GB, 2x16GB and 2x8GB DDR4 kits

Best Motherboards for AMD Ryzen: R5 3600, R9 3950X & B450, X570, X470

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

its not bout that , its bout value , price and affordability...maybe you can pay 300+ for a product you can get for 300 less...some dont have that money and criticize for good reason then..
    intel is just 1 company and makes cpu not ''''hardware'''''

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  10. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

I myself, am not a "fan boy" of any particular platform. The cost performance balance has always been what counts even inside limited availability. Started of on Mac>Amiga>Atari>PC. Went from Intel to AMD & back to Intel.

With AMD returning to form & staying there, I would not be doing myself any justice by playing favorites.

Looking forward to what 2020 will offer all of us in choice & improvements.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

I love that kid, he's great. The only young person that i know of in YT who knows wth he's saying when talking bout vrms, doublers etc.
    Another person who knows his stuff and worth checking out is Wendell from Level1 Techs. Although his main focus is servers and Linux, a lot of times he reviews interesting consumer gear like here:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Have him bookmarked. Was my re-introduction to Linux!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. Gyro Gearloose

:unsure::unsure::woot::invision::mad::drummer:............right from the big bang:beg::beg:

14. Gyro Gearloose

level1techs have a forum too..