Runtime.txt in winrar files

Discussion in 'PC' started by nmkeraj, Jan 3, 2019.

1. nmkeraj

nmkeraj Producer

Why is this text file included in some winrar files? They are compressed in R2R releases. Do I need them?

3. virusg

virusg Rock Star

so you are bothered by that or some stuff isnt working for you? ...they are just simple text files, maybe was created with the installers so got packed both ...i guess thats all

4. nmkeraj

nmkeraj Producer

Everything works well. But this guy is disturbing me whether I need it or not? I reckon the same it looks like it is added while compressing the archive. But why...? :) Thanks

5. Rudy Manterie

Rudy Manterie Platinum Record

Those are the Operating System runtime files required to work. You obviously already have them installed otherwise the plugin in question wouldn't work. Saves size by not packing them into each and every release.

6. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

I've posted this link a few times around here. This is ALL the runtime packages, JAVA, FLASH, SHOCKWAVE, Silverlight and J-Sharp all in one package (automatic scanner and installer). The last update was OCT 2018. Download it and archive it in case you need it in the future. I can't live without it.

https://www.computerbase.de/downloads/systemtools/all-in-one-runtimes/

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

The runtime.txt files are just to tell you what runtime libraries the program needs, according to which bit OS you use.
    I just leave them in there. Yeah I thought about removing them, because if a runtime library is needed but not installed, there is often an error message that tells you that you which one you need.
    But maybe not, and i might just think the prog is bugged or my system is glitched, and wind up here asking a silly question! :facepalm:
    So I have been leaving them in there as reminders. :yes: